Freeing the stuck container ship Ever Given in the Suez Canal

In summary, the ship is stuck in the canal, and nobody can get it out. The engineers are discussing ways to get it unstuck.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
[Mentor Note -- Interesting engineering discussion from the Weird News GD thread moved to the General Engineering forum as its own thread]

How That Massive Ship Got Stuck in the Suez Canal—and Why Nobody Can Get It Out
https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...244/suez-canal-blocked-ever-given-ship-stuck/

Really!? Do they not understand contingencies?

Now, there's an interesting engineering challenge.

I was thinking about the ballast, but . . .
One way to do that is to empty the ballast tanks. That solution, however, could destabilize the ship, Captain Morgan McManus, Master, Empire State VI, of SUNY Maritime College, tells Pop Mech.
However, I was thinking that they could alternately move the ballast from side-to-side and rock the ship, or dump ballast to raise the ship, the move it, then reload ballast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
However, I was thinking that they could alternately move the ballast from side-to-side and rock the ship, or dump ballast to raise the ship, the move it, then reload ballast.
Seems like the ship destabilization would be because the CoM of the ballast is below the CoM of the cargo. Maybe send some military transport helicopters to offload enough of the cargo to keep it stable while pumping out the ballast and fuel. They can pick the containers up later...

1616804397068.png

https://gallery.vtol.org/images/2017/04/08/USArmyAmes4.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and Astronuc
They said in the news here, that they assume the ship has dug its bow completely into the sandy ground, and its tail partly, too. I read that they ordered more tugs to avoid unloading the cargo, which they expect to take about two weeks. It isn't as if there was a harbor or container terminal nearby. It is also expected as a consequence that supply chains will break.

I guess you could pull an empty/returning cargo ship in close by and transfer half of the cargo by helicopter. I wonder if there are any empty cargo ships nearby...

EDIT -- Off to Google to find out how many containers we're talking about...

Likes Astronuc
berkeman said:
I guess you could pull an empty/returning cargo ship in close by and transfer half of the cargo by helicopter. I wonder if there are any empty cargo ships nearby...
What is an empty container ship? And unloading - how many, a few thousand? - containers, whether in another ship or at land, will take these estimated two weeks.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
AP - Plan made to refloat ship blocking Suez Canal using tide, SAMY MAGDY
SUEZ, Egypt (AP) — The company that owns the giant container ship stuck sideways across the Suez Canal said an attempt will be made to refloat the vessel by taking advantage of tidal movements later Saturday.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
EDIT -- Off to Google to find out how many containers we're talking about...
So it looks like the total number of containers is about 20,000 (impressive), so if you had a military-style air-op with 40 helos in the air 24/7 and a cycle time of about 30 minutes per container move, carry the seven, that would be about 250 hours (10 days) to offload half the ship. I guess that's comparable to the current estimates for how long it will take to dig it out of the sand, but maybe it's worth doing both at the same time?

How long does it take to offload these things in a shipyard using the cranes? It can't be weeks, can it?

1616806678302.png

You cannot use more than maximal two or three helicopters, because they cannot operate simultaneously on such a narrow target. Next problem: there is no gas station on the Sinai. And I guess the financial consequences are a disaster, too. If you unload the ship, then you have to load one again to get rid of the containers. Who's going to charter all these devices?

fresh_42 said:
You cannot use more than maximal two or three helicopters, because they cannot operate simultaneously on such a narrow target
Apparently the ship length is comparable to the height of the Empire State Building in New York. Trust me, military Air-Ops can work with 40 helos in the air at once on this assignment. :smile:

fresh_42 said:
Fresh from the shipyard? Or a computer animation?
Probably just returning to home port to reload, I'd guess. I just used Google Images to find an empty container ship.

In order to unload the ship, by which method ever, you first have to build the logistic (gas, light, place for the containers, helicopter). This alone takes probably some days. I think the two weeks period is already an optimistic estimation. We are talking about the middle of nowhere, not about Rotterdam, Hamburg or Boston.

berkeman said:
I like that idea. The ship is something like 1300 ft. Popular Mechanics indicates the ship has a capacity for 20,000 20-ft containers, or 10,000 40-ft containers. I don't know if can handle 53-ft containers.

Maybe 3 helicopters working stern, middle front, and while each helicopter is setting a container, another picks up.

The have considered a floating crane or cranes, which would be very slow.
“In the middle of the Suez Canal, there’s no infrastructure for that, so that would mean getting a crane barge alongside and then taking those boxes off one at a time,” says McManus. With a ship as big as the Ever Given, the effort could take weeks.

Egyptian official says Suez Canal to reopen within a few days
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cargo-ship-still-stuck-suez-141511821.html

Usually there are multiple cranes handling a given container ship in port.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Newark–Elizabeth_Marine_Terminal (I've flown passed there many times.)
http://www.hoistmagazine.com/featur...-speed-drives-development-4575436-466287.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_crane
https://www.liebherr.com/en/aus/pro...r-bridges/ship-to-shore-container-cranes.html

Maybe they need some floating systems - just in case.
In the Liebherr link, there is a picture of a special heavy lift ship with three container cranes for delivery of fully assembled STS cranes from Ireland to Puerto Rico.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
I would be surprised if there are a lot of empty container ships tooling around.
There could trade going in both directions, or at least empty containers getting returned for refilling.
Running empty ships around would be expensive. Ships often make a lot of stops, to avoid being empty.

It might be faster to just dump some containers overboard and haul them out of the water with a barge (if they can get one there).

I am wondering who will be financially responsible for this mess, if any one: the shipping company? those running the canal? someone's insurance?

20_6b8f3534-e827-42f8-abb2-85235a456611-superJumbo.jpg
_56ffcf4a-6235-47c4-9ff1-76bd1749ea32-articleLarge.jpg

605e000930a36.jpg

• Wow
Likes Klystron
Skynews -

Al Jazeera -

BillTre said:
I am wondering who will be financially responsible for this mess, if any one: the shipping company? those running the canal? someone's insurance?
Perhaps insurance, but if power failure caused the problem, then the insurance company may claim negligence. I'm guessing this may end up in a court somewhere.

Likes Lnewqban
BillTre said:
The insurance company, probably backed by Lloyd's.
Salvage by Lloyd's open form.
https://www.lloyds.com/resources-an...lvage-arbitration-branch/lloyds-open-form-lof

I expect it ran aground on it's own solitary wave. Therein lies the problem. They must raise the water level in the canal, but there are no locks.

Likes hutchphd
Baluncore said:
They must raise the water level in the canal, but there are no locks.
Apparently there is an opportunity on Saturday for a high tide.

Baluncore said:
I expect it ran aground on it's own solitary wave.
Brendan Greeley suggests the bank effect. (Bernoulli?)

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Next problem: there is no gas station on the Sinai.
The canal is serviced from the western shore, not from the Sinai.
The ship is grounded at the southern end, only 6 km from the centre of Suez City.
30.016100°, 32.579685°
That may be close enough to the Red Sea to have a tide.

BillTre said:
I would be surprised if there are a lot of empty container ships tooling around.
There could trade going in both directions, or at least empty containers getting returned for refilling.
Running empty ships around would be expensive. Ships often make a lot of stops, to avoid being empty.
They used to fill them with "recycled" plastic on the return trip.
It might be faster to just dump some containers overboard and haul them out of the water with a barge (if they can get one there).
Or slide them off the end and pile them up in a pyramid.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
The cargo of containers would extend below the visible deck, deep into the hull.
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 8.15.23 PM.png

The canal is at it deepest only in the middle:
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 8.22.44 PM.png

To get its bow that far to the side would have required thee ship either plow into the sand or ride up the ramp of sand at the side.
I guess, once the front end was planted on one side, the ship would have pivoted cross the canal due to its forward momentum and jammed the stern over against the other side.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, berkeman and Lnewqban
They need some kind of suction dredger.

The aft section looks a bit less troublesome. Winch and wire rope across the canal?

Rive said:
Winch and wire rope across the canal?
One problem with wire cables will be the number of camels needed to anchor the cables. I expect it will also be difficult to find sufficient points on the boat strong enough to attach the cables.

But I really don't think we need worry too much, as the problem will resolve itself in the end. The way it is wedged, the vessel will be released as the Eastern bank is on a tectonic plate moving North slightly faster than Egypt's plate is moving North.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and Keith_McClary
256bits said:
They need some kind of suction dredger.
A quote from the Los Angeles Times, March 27, 2021, pg.A3
On Friday, dredgers capable of shifting more than 70 000 cubic feet of material per hour and teams of excavators were trying to dislodge the ship, said GAC, a shipping agent at the canal.

From the WSJ,
SUEZ, Egypt—Salvage teams are girding for another to attempt to free the Ever Given container ship that has been blocking the Suez Canal for five days, hoping that a higher-than-usual spring tide will help them unstick the 1,300-foot vessel from the east side of the channel.

People involved in the operation had earlier suggested the Ever Given, operated by Taiwan-based Evergreen Group, might have been freed as early as Saturday. A rescue team had earlier managed to free the ship’s rudder and start its engines after it veered off course during stormy conditions on March 23, blocking the critical trade route to traffic and disrupting global supply chains. Some 320 vessels are waiting to traverse the 120-mile channel, according to the Suez Canal Authority, which runs the waterway.

Dredging operations continued Sunday, and officials say they will try to free the ship with the help of the higher spring tide without having to unload containers to reduce its weight, which would be a difficult operation because of the location of the Ever Given.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/high-tide-in-suez-canal-raises-hopes-of-freeing-cargo-ship-11616930783

Authorities are developing a plan to remove containers, if necessary.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/diggin...-needed-to-refloat-the-ever-given-11616792192
Tugboats swarmed the large ship on Tuesday and Wednesday. The goal of the 2,000- to 3,000-horsepower boats is to coax the Ever Given back from the bank of the canal. If the tugboats pull directly back, they will create suction between the 220,000-ton ship and the shore that would make it even harder to move. Instead of tugging back, the tugboats are trying to change the angle at which the Ever Given is stuck.

From DW, "20,000 ton of sand have been removed from the area around the bow, and 9,000 tons of ballast water have been pumped out, in order to lighten the vessel. The operation has so far been unsuccessful - but two more tugs are on their way. If they can't move it, the next step will be to unload the cargo."

Last edited:
If the tugboats pull directly back, they will create suction between the 220,000-ton ship and the shore that would make it even harder to move
It's already hard to move.
Ever get a boot stuck in mud.

The mud has to be displaced by water. Since the mud is a 'solid' ( in regards to the fact that one can't walk though walls ) object, the water and mud have a difficult time exchanging positions, hence the suction. The suction is what is making it difficult to move, not that it is going to make it harder to move.

Assuming the bow is 300 feet wide x 30 feet deep frontal area stuck in mud. To pull the bow out, 300ft x 30ft x 14.7 psi x 14.7 psi = 290 M pounds of force, if air replaces the mud - ie pulling against an air vacuum. Of course that is a simplistic analysis, widely off, and doesn't take hydrostatic pressures into account, and would be not a figure to quote or base the amount of tugs one needs. It is just to illustrate the forces are extremely high, with the pushing and shoving possibly breaking apart a boat not used to forces in odd places on its hull.
I think someone can give a better analysis than I just did.
Nor go around quoting what I just did.

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
A quote from the Los Angeles Times, March 27, 2021, pg.A3
On Friday, dredgers capable of shifting more than 70 000 cubic feet of material per hour and teams of excavators were trying to dislodge the ship, said GAC, a shipping agent at the canal.
The bucket on a typical excavator is a yard of material, or 27 cubic feet.

• Haha
Likes Lnewqban and Astronuc
berkeman said:
Apparently the ship length is comparable to the height of the Empire State Building in New York. Trust me, military Air-Ops can work with 40 helos in the air at once on this assignment. :smile:

In the air yes. Lifting cargo at once? No. 40 birds is 10 meter separation and the things have 20 meter rotors. Add wind and underslung loads and even more no.

However, I think they might be able to get more than the OP's estimate of 3 you were responding to, but I'm not sure on the safety margins.

Likes Nugatory, berkeman and 256bits
They just need underwater tractors to pull it out

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, Klystron and berkeman
Baluncore said:
I expect it will also be difficult to find sufficient points on the boat strong enough to attach the cables.

mundra-india-december-forecastle-container-vessel-port-mundra-december-mundra-india-forecastle...jpg

ardnog said:
In the air yes. Lifting cargo at once? No. 40 birds is 10 meter separation and the things have 20 meter rotors. Add wind and underslung loads and even more no.

However, I think they might be able to get more than the OP's estimate of 3 you were responding to, but I'm not sure on the safety margins.
a traffic control communications problem also.

@ardnog
It would take hundreds of those thin wires to drag that boat free. The boat would need hundreds of additional attachment points welded to the structure over a very wide area.

Look at the depth that the bulbous bow is buried in the bank.

Likes Lnewqban
<h2>1. How did the Ever Given get stuck in the Suez Canal?</h2><p>The Ever Given, a large container ship, got stuck in the Suez Canal on March 23, 2021 due to strong winds and a sandstorm, causing it to veer off course and run aground.</p><h2>2. What are the potential consequences of the ship being stuck in the Suez Canal?</h2><p>The blockage of the Suez Canal by the Ever Given has caused a disruption in global trade, as the canal is a vital route for shipping goods between Asia and Europe. This has led to delays and increased costs for businesses and consumers.</p><h2>3. How is the ship being freed from the Suez Canal?</h2><p>Several methods are being used to free the Ever Given, including dredging and tugboats. A team of experts is also working to redistribute the weight of the ship and refloat it.</p><h2>4. How long will it take to free the Ever Given from the Suez Canal?</h2><p>The time frame for freeing the Ever Given is uncertain and depends on various factors, such as the success of the current methods being used and any potential complications. It could take days or even weeks to fully free the ship.</p><h2>5. What measures are being taken to prevent similar incidents in the future?</h2><p>After the incident with the Ever Given, there have been discussions about implementing stricter regulations and safety measures for ships passing through the Suez Canal. This includes potentially requiring tugboat assistance for larger vessels and improving weather forecasting systems.</p>

1. How did the Ever Given get stuck in the Suez Canal?

The Ever Given, a large container ship, got stuck in the Suez Canal on March 23, 2021 due to strong winds and a sandstorm, causing it to veer off course and run aground.

2. What are the potential consequences of the ship being stuck in the Suez Canal?

The blockage of the Suez Canal by the Ever Given has caused a disruption in global trade, as the canal is a vital route for shipping goods between Asia and Europe. This has led to delays and increased costs for businesses and consumers.

3. How is the ship being freed from the Suez Canal?

Several methods are being used to free the Ever Given, including dredging and tugboats. A team of experts is also working to redistribute the weight of the ship and refloat it.

4. How long will it take to free the Ever Given from the Suez Canal?

The time frame for freeing the Ever Given is uncertain and depends on various factors, such as the success of the current methods being used and any potential complications. It could take days or even weeks to fully free the ship.

5. What measures are being taken to prevent similar incidents in the future?

After the incident with the Ever Given, there have been discussions about implementing stricter regulations and safety measures for ships passing through the Suez Canal. This includes potentially requiring tugboat assistance for larger vessels and improving weather forecasting systems.

Back