Freeing the stuck container ship Ever Given in the Suez Canal

In summary, the ship is stuck in the canal, and nobody can get it out. The engineers are discussing ways to get it unstuck.
256bits said:
I blame the canal guys for operating a defective product in today's era of large ships.

For real? Large ships have been using that canal for years and no-one else has got wedged in.

I suspect, as usual, it's a combination of errors, none which on their own will have caused it. However, assigning liability is totally different again.

If I sit on a park bench, and it's a weak design and breaks, and I get hurt; the accident report will say that the factory failed to test it, the park failed to maintain it, and I failed to check it before sitting on it. It will recommend we all do these things in future because if just one of us does, it won't happen again.

However when it comes to liability, the court won't hold me liable, and the park and factory will fight it out avoid getting fined.

Anyway, because of the accident report finding facts but not assigning blame, the press won't understand, and you will see news articles asking why the customer with the busted backside is being critized.

Likes fresh_42
Engineering news on Phys.org
ardnog said:
For real? Large ships have been using that canal for years and no-one else has got wedged in.

Certainly not the Tropic Brilliance in 2004, the Okal King Dor in 2006 or the OOCL Japan in 2017. That would just be crazy talk.

Likes 256bits
Out of those 3, only Tropic Brilliance was proper stuck, and that was close to 20 years ago when ships and the canal was a different size and shape. But I accept your point and will write more carefully in future.

Back