1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Fuel Problem, calorific values.

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    1) I need to find the output power in kW of an engine when running a mix of 90% Nitromethane
    (CH3NO2), and 10% Octane (C8H18), their calorific values are 11.3 MJ/kg and 43.7 MJ/kg respectively.
    what i know:
    An engine that runs pure 100% octane with 20% excess air produces 100kW, and the volumetric, thermal and mechanical efficiency's remain the same.
    I need to find out how much power the same engine using a 10/90 fuel mix would produce.

2)Im using this equation:

Power (kW)=Power (kJ/sec)= [calorific value fuel(kJ/kg)] X [molar mass of fuel(kg/mol)] X
    [mol/sec]

Im assuming since the volumetric efficeincy will be the same then the [mol/sec] i get for the first engine will be the same as the second fuel mix.

100kW = [(43.7 x 10^3)kJ/kg] X [(114.224)kg/mol] X mol/sec
    hence,
    mol/sec for both engines = 0.02.

But im stuck from there and dont know how to continue, as when i try subbing this value into the same equation with the second fuels mix, i get a lower power which it shouldnt be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Miller11

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2
    Is this problem from a thermodynamics course?

4. May 4, 2012 #3
    To work this problem you will have to write the chemical equations for each fuel, balance them both, and determine how much fuel is being burned given the 20% excess air. In doing so you will find that you can burn more nitromethane fuel and therefore produce more power because nitromethane contains oxygen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook