1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Gas Turbine Shaft Power

1. Dec 31, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been asked to calculate a range of values relating to a Gas Turbine engine, and while I have been able to find the majority of the values I am almost certain that the Thermal Efficiency value of 1.64% I have come up with is incorrect.

This relies on Shaft power, fuel mass flow rate, and the Lower Calorific Value in the formula shown below.

LCV = 42,000 kJ/kg (Given value)
    Fuel mass flow rate = 0.00821256 kg/sec (Calculated)
    Shaft power = 5.66 kW (Calculated, but not confident of this result)

N = 3040 rpm (Given value)
    F (brake load)= 50 N (Given Value)

2. Relevant equations

The formula for Thermal Efficiency that I have is: [tex]\eta[/tex]thermal = [tex]\dot{W}[/tex]Shaft/([tex]\dot{m}[/tex]fuel [tex]\times[/tex] Lower Calorific Value)

The formula for Shaft Power (in kW) I have is: [tex]\dot{W}[/tex]Shaft = (F * N) / 26850

(Not sure where 26850 comes from, I was given this equation. If someone can explain where that number comes from I would be very grateful.)

The mass flow rate of fuel I worked out as follows:

2 litres of fuel used in 207 seconds (Given values) = 9.6618E-3 l/sec

0.0096618 [tex]\div[/tex] 1000 = 9.6618E-6 m3/sec

Relative density of fuel = 0.85 (Given value)

Mass flow rate = 9.6618E-6 [tex]\times[/tex] 850 = 0.00821256 kg/sec

There are a whole range of other values (Temps/Pressures/Cp(g)/Cp(a)/Gammaa/Gammag etc) which I haven't included as I don't believe them to be relevant.

If necessary I will add these as requests.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2009 #2
    Your turbine speed is in RPM and your fuel flow is in kg/sec, so you have to get Wf in kg/min.
    I have an example of this but it isn’t in metric but your formulas appear to be correct. The number 26850 probably comes from correcting for units.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?