Car Question Acceleration vs. Engine Life

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that contribute to engine longevity, specifically regarding accelerating techniques and the impact on fuel efficiency and wear. The participants discuss the potential risks and benefits of accelerating quickly and coasting versus maintaining a constant lower rpm. It is suggested that slow acceleration may be the better option as it reduces friction and wear on the engine. However, proper maintenance is also crucial for engine longevity.
devecseri
What's going to let an engine last longer:

1) Accelerating quickly to just above desired speed and coasting until speed drops

2) Holding engine at a more constant lower rpm to achieve that desired speed

I know to some extent 1) is better for fuel when the acceleration isn't too hard but that's not what I'm asking

Engineering news on Phys.org
Automatic or stick?

This is impossible to answer. In theory the loads under acceleration would impart more wear than the benefit gained from coasting (and I'll assume shifting to neutral while coasting). But that could change based on how hard you accelerate each time, numerous design details in the engine, how the engine responds to idling, etc., etc.

Likes gjonesy
Sounds about right

my hypothesis is, slow to speed will always win for this question in this context. the reason being, heavy acceleration puts way more force onto the lubrication and depending on how much force is needed the oil might shear. heavy car vs light car will make a diff, etc.

if there is guarantee that the motor oil does not shear under all test conditions, and every mating surface is protected in some way, then there is likely no diff in longevity of the motor, well, constant sudden bursts from injectors may have a negative impact.

Friction increases logrithmically. Higher engine speeds with higher loads will cause more wear. However, even an engine driven vigorously but well maintained will last 2 to 3 hundred thousand miles. I am a technician and see quarter million mile cars every week. Some of these are beat so wear by driving style is not as important as wear from lack of maintenance.

Likes russ_watters

1. How does acceleration affect the lifespan of a car's engine?

Acceleration can have a significant impact on the lifespan of a car's engine. When a car is accelerating, the engine is working harder to generate power and this can cause increased wear and tear on the engine components. Prolonged or excessive acceleration can lead to premature engine failure.

2. Is it true that hard acceleration causes more damage to the engine?

Yes, hard acceleration can cause more damage to the engine compared to gentle acceleration. This is because hard acceleration puts more stress on the engine components, causing them to wear out faster. It is recommended to accelerate gradually and avoid sudden or aggressive acceleration to prolong the life of the engine.

3. Can frequent hard acceleration shorten the lifespan of a car's engine?

Yes, frequent hard acceleration can definitely shorten the lifespan of a car's engine. The repeated stress on the engine components can lead to premature wear and tear, decreasing the overall lifespan of the engine. It is important to drive responsibly and avoid excessive acceleration to maintain the health of the engine.

4. How can I prolong the life of my car's engine?

One of the best ways to prolong the life of a car's engine is to drive responsibly and avoid excessive acceleration. This means accelerating gradually and avoiding hard or aggressive acceleration. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and regularly check and replace engine fluids and filters.

5. Can a car's engine life be affected by the type of fuel used?

Yes, the type of fuel used can have an impact on a car's engine life. Low-quality or contaminated fuel can cause damage to the engine and decrease its lifespan. It is important to use high-quality fuel and avoid refueling at questionable gas stations to maintain the health of the engine.