Carbon di oxide emission of filament bulbs

In summary, the government advocates the slow phasing out of filament lamps in favor of CFLs because of their contribution to global warming. It is clarified that it is not the bulbs themselves which are emitting carbon-di-oxide, but the power plants which work on carbon-burning processes. However, even if everyone switched to CFLs, this would not be enough to reduce the amount of carbon-di-oxide emitted by power plants.
ananthu
One thing I am not able to understand.

Governments advocate the slow phasing out of the filament lamps and replacing them with CFLs.The reason repeatedly cited for this is that the filament lamps contribute to the global warming by way of emitting carbon-di-oxide.

But, interestingly, it is also clarified that it is not these bulbs which are directly emitting the gas into the atmosphere, but the power plants which work on carbon-burning process emit the gas for producing the electricity consumed by these bulbs.

What I can not understand is that even if all the people of the world stop using these bulbs and start using some other Eco-friendly bulbs, how this will help these power plants to reduce the carbon-di-oxide emission, unless this will result in the reduction of the quantity of the power produced itself, by the plants sufficiently. Because, people will continue to use electricity by way of other devices such as air conditioners, fridges, heaters etc. and the electricity requirement is never going to come down.

Can anybody enlighten on this line?

Physics news on Phys.org
ananthu said:
O
how this will help these power plants to reduce the carbon-di-oxide emission, unless this will result in the reduction of the quantity of the power produced itself, by the plants sufficiently. Because, people will continue to use electricity by way of other devices such as air conditioners, fridges, heaters etc. and the electricity requirement is never going to come down.

In a (probably doomed) effort to save this thread from locking, I suggest that you might find it interesting to look at the ratio of GDP (Gross Domestic Product) to power consumption for various national economies.

Nugatory said:
In a (probably doomed) effort to save this thread from locking, I suggest that you might find it interesting to look at the ratio of GDP (Gross Domestic Product) to power consumption for various national economies.

Sorry. I couldn't catch what you wanted to convey.

ananthu said:
Sorry. I couldn't catch what you wanted to convey.

If you look at this data, you will find some evidence that suggests that increases in efficiency are not always offset by increases in consumption.

(This conversation is more about politics and economics than about physics).

ananthu said:
What I can not understand is that even if all the people of the world stop using these bulbs and start using some other Eco-friendly bulbs, how this will help these power plants to reduce the carbon-di-oxide emission, unless this will result in the reduction of the quantity of the power produced itself, by the plants sufficiently.

We use a lot of bulbs. The claim is that an 11W CFL bulb puts ot as much light as a 60W incandescent. That's pretty good.

They are making A/C units and refrigerators low-consumption as well.

It's just that people make a choice about what bulbs they buy.

DaveC426913 said:
We use a lot of bulbs. The claim is that an 11W CFL bulb puts ot as much light as a 60W incandescent. That's pretty good.

They are making A/C units and refrigerators low-consumption as well.

It's just that people make a choice about what bulbs they buy.

May be it is because, when people use the filament bulbs, a lot of energy consumed goes into air as heat. But, it is not the case with the CFLs. So, can we say that the burning of the filament bulbs contributes to the increase in the air temperature, thereby contributes to the global warming? I don't know whether the statistics will support such a claim. But, one advantage I find in using the CFLs is that it reduces your electricity bill to certain extent.

On the other side, does not an AC unit produce cooling inside your house by pushing the inside heat outside? I suspect it could also equally contribute to the increase in the average atmospheric temperature.

On these lines experts' opinions will be helpful to a common man.

ananthu said:
May be it is because, when people use the filament bulbs, a lot of energy consumed goes into air as heat. But, it is not the case with the CFLs. So, can we say that the burning of the filament bulbs contributes to the increase in the air temperature, thereby contributes to the global warming? I don't know whether the statistics will support such a claim. But, one advantage I find in using the CFLs is that it reduces your electricity bill to certain extent.

On the other side, does not an AC unit produce cooling inside your house by pushing the inside heat outside? I suspect it could also equally contribute to the increase in the average atmospheric temperature.

On these lines experts' opinions will be helpful to a common man.

The bulbs reduce your power consumption, which reduces the load on the power plants, which reduces the fuel they have to burn, which reduces the amount of CO2 they put into the atmosphere. It has nothing to do with the bulbs heating the air itself.

Drakkith said:
The bulbs reduce your power consumption, which reduces the load on the power plants, which reduces the fuel they have to burn, which reduces the amount of CO2 they put into the atmosphere. It has nothing to do with the bulbs heating the air itself.
Concurrence.

1. What is the impact of carbon dioxide emission from filament bulbs on the environment?

The carbon dioxide emitted from filament bulbs contributes to the greenhouse effect, trapping heat in the atmosphere and leading to global warming.

2. How much carbon dioxide is emitted from filament bulbs compared to other types of light bulbs?

Filament bulbs emit significantly more carbon dioxide compared to other types of light bulbs, such as LED or CFL bulbs. This is because they use more energy and have a lower energy efficiency.

3. Can carbon dioxide emission from filament bulbs be reduced?

Yes, carbon dioxide emission from filament bulbs can be reduced by switching to more energy-efficient light bulbs, such as LEDs or CFLs. These bulbs use less energy and emit less carbon dioxide.

4. How does the production and disposal of filament bulbs contribute to carbon dioxide emissions?

The production of filament bulbs requires the use of energy, which leads to carbon dioxide emissions. Additionally, when filament bulbs are disposed of in landfills, they release carbon dioxide as they decompose.

5. Are there any alternatives to using filament bulbs to reduce carbon dioxide emissions?

Yes, there are many alternatives to using filament bulbs that can help reduce carbon dioxide emissions. These include LED or CFL bulbs, as well as utilizing natural light sources whenever possible.