• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Career Advice regarding computational science

• Math
  • Thread starter Sethi
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi All

Background
1. I am 33 Year old with around 13 years of Experience in software development.
2. Education: MCA from India which is Equivalent to Bachelors in IT per US (If i am not wrong).
3. Always interested in Mathematics/Physics and not much happy with software development work.

Aspiration
I am very much interested in doing Computational Science by doing MS in Applied Mathematics. I want to work in area of Quantum Computing field or AI Field. I have following questions if someone can help on that

Questions
1. Can i do MS in Applied Mathematics for Computational Science.
2. and will i be able to get work in these areas, If till now i was doing software development.

Thanks

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Your software skills should complement your applied math studies and your computational science studies. From there, employers will look at you as an applied mathematician with computational modeling/simulation software skills.

While you’re preparing for school, have you looked at Matlab, Julia, numerical python or open source physics ? These are the areas where computational science budding. Matlab is used extensively by many engineering departments and companies. Julia is an open source variant of Matlab similar but not the same and geared to interoperate with python, fortran and r.

Last edited:
Thanks jedishrfu :ok:

I have very limited knowledge around tools like Matlab and Minitab. I have used them for brief period while working on software development for civil engineers(Road/Highway construction & Irrigation ) and some statistical work related to Life Safety industry(Fire Safety devices).

I will explore them further in detail, appreciate your advice & guidance. :smile: