Careers available with a Physics degree

In summary, the conversation discusses potential career paths for someone planning to obtain a degree in physics. It is noted that being a physicist involves more than just teaching, with opportunities for research and other roles in academia, national labs, and industry. Other options mentioned include engineering, systems engineering, biophysics, computational chemistry, cryptography, actuarial work, quantitative analysis, statistics, data science, numerical programming, patent examination or law, and medical physics. However, some of these positions may require additional education or experience beyond a physics degree.
tinypositrons
Hi guys,

I was wondering what career paths there are for people that are planning to do a degree in physics. My friend's son (13) is brilliant at physics but is put off by the fact that he doesn't know of any jobs (other than a teacher) that would be suited to a degree in physics.

Thanks,
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that being a "Physicist" is much more than being a teacher. In addition to teaching, university physicists do research (and also administration duties). Physicists at national labs and in industry do not have to teach. These careers generally require a PhD. Otherwise engineering is a great way to put physics ability to use and the career prospects are more diverse and less competitive than with physics.

ModusPwnd said:
Note that being a "Physicist" is much more than being a teacher. In addition to teaching, university physicists do research (and also administration duties). Physicists at national labs and in industry do not have to teach. These careers generally require a PhD. Otherwise engineering is a great way to put physics ability to use and the career prospects are more diverse and less competitive than with physics.

Agree with this completely. It is really really hard to get a job as a full-time physicist at a National Lab or in industry (or in a University for that matter). It is much easier to have a successful career as an engineer, and a good way to apply physics knowledge.

Thanks guys!

tinypositrons said:
I was wondering what career paths there are for people that are planning to do a degree in physics.

Some physics grad students and I made a short list of non-academic jobs which have been known to hire people with physics undergrad or grad degrees:

• systems engineer or similar (often aerospace or automotive)
  • biophysics or computational chemistry (often medical/drug companies)
  • cryptographer or signal analyst (NSA,CIA,DoD,DIA, other government acronyms)
  • actuary or quantitative analyst (usually insurance or finance)
  • statistician or data scientist (variety of industries, e.g. medical, advertising)
  • numerical programmer (engineering, finance, various software companies)
  • patent examiner or patent attorney (USPTO, law firms, may also require a JD)
  • medical physicist (may also require an MD)

This list oversimplifies and/or misses lots of things, but it's a start.

I don't think most of those positions would be available to a physics BS holder unless they had extra non-physics classes, experience or special circumstances.

Cryptographer with a physics BS?

NegativeDept said:
[*]medical physicist (may also require an MD)

Medical physicists do not hold MD degrees.

Medical physics is a profession separate from that of a physician, and training takes place in formal medical physics programs that grant M.S. or Ph.D. degrees, typically followed by clinical residencies.

ModusPwnd said:
I don't think most of those positions would be available to a physics BS holder unless they had extra non-physics classes, experience or special circumstances. Cryptographer with a physics BS?

NSA recruits engineering and comp-sci majors as signal analysts and all majors as cryptanalysts, so I'd be surprised if they don't hire physics majors! That said, it's certainly true that some careers in the listed categories prefer or require graduate degrees and/or additional knowledge besides physics.

EricVT said:
Medical physics is a profession separate from that of a physician, and training takes place in formal medical physics programs that grant M.S. or Ph.D. degrees, typically followed by clinical residencies.

Oops... I think our list accidentally conflated medical physicist with physics-related MD jobs like radiologists. Maybe it's more accurate to list "medical physicist" and "go to medical school after your physics degree" as two separate items.

What kind of job opportunities are available with a Physics degree?

There are a variety of career paths available for those with a Physics degree. Some common options include working as a research scientist, a data analyst, an engineer, a teacher, or a consultant.

What industries can I work in with a Physics degree?

A Physics degree can open doors to a range of industries, such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, technology, and finance. Physics principles are applicable in many fields, making it a versatile degree.

What skills do I need to have for a career in Physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and science, a career in Physics also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Good communication and teamwork abilities are also important for collaborating on projects and presenting research findings.

What level of education is required for a career in Physics?

Most entry-level positions in Physics require at least a bachelor's degree. However, for more advanced roles or research positions, a master's or doctoral degree may be necessary. Continuing education and staying updated on advancements in the field is also important for career growth.

What are the potential salaries for careers with a Physics degree?

Salaries for careers with a Physics degree can vary depending on the specific job and industry, as well as location and experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers in 2020 was $129,850. However, salaries can range from around $60,000 for entry-level positions to over $200,000 for those with advanced degrees and experience.