Carl M. Bender (Advanced Mathematical Methods )

In summary, the book "Advanced Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers - Asymptotic Methods and Perturbation Theory" has a solutions manual that is not available online. The author, Carl Bender, recommends using Physicsforums, Stackexchange, and WolframAlpha to find solutions to problems.
Runei
Hello all,

I just bought the book "Advanced Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers - Asymptotic Methods and Perturbation Theory".

I was wondering if anyone know about a solutions manual for the book? I would like to work through some of the problems while I go through the book, but it would make it a bit more easy to have a reference, to see if I solve the problems correctly.

I haven't been able to find anything so far on the web. How do you go about solving problems in a textbook without a solutions reference?

Likes shanepitts
Physics news on Phys.org
If you haven't checked out his perimeter institute lectures on youtube already, those may be a good supplement to the book. I think someone in the comments said that there were no solutions and that the problems were hard.

You can always discuss problems on physicsforums and/or stack exchange... though sometimes people don't respond if it's a hard problem. I'd be interested in hearing more on solving problems without solutions too :P Using multiple resources might be necessary, depending on the level of the book.

I contacted Carl Bender himself and he told me that he only provided solutions to teachers and only selected problems. He also told me that solutions would not be posted on the internet, since he did not want that.

So we are left to fend for ourselves :)

As you say, I will likely try to use Physicsforums, Stackexchange and sometimes even WolframAlpha.

And yes, I've seen (some of) his lectures on Youtube and I agree they would be a good supplement.

Let us know how you like the book, too... I was considering getting it (but decided I have enough on my kitty-plate for the moment)

Hi there.
I also contacted Bender some time ago, as I was looking for some practice material for his Perimeter course. He recommended his book ( which by the way, I find to be fantastic). I'm just having a bit of a hard time pinpointing the relevant exercises to his course, because some of the concepts are mentioned in different parts of the book. Would anybody have any knowledge they cud share on that? Thanks in advance.

Have to admit I haven't had time to look at it yet. Too much work at my job and with my study. This semester it looks more promising and I'll see if I can spend some time.

I'm not sure about the best way to approach it if his lectures use concepts from around the book. Perhaps one way would be to treat them separately and then use the lectures as a sort of "insipiration" to the Mathematical Physics and how to use different concepts, but work the book in straight forward manner - Read a chapter. Do a few exercises. Repeat. And then once in a while perhaps go back and do an exercise in already completed chapters for refreshment.

One could perhaps take notes from his lectures about concepts that were unclear. While doing the book exercises I would hope that links and associations to what he said in the lectures will arise.

I think the main source of knowledge is the book. To me, lectures are more a way to give an overview and to link different areas of the material, but without imparting much knowledge.

Likes Orion Pax
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind. I'm also having time issues, that's why i tried to make the most out of his lectures without relying too much on the book. Otherwise it's one of those books you'd want to read back to back. After reviewing the notes I took of his lectures, it's given me a much clearer picture of what he was trying to do with the limited time he had. It's also helped me get a better picture of the structure of the book. For now I think I'll just work on the areas of the book that have been directly covered in the lectures. I'll leave the rest for later.

1. Who is Carl M. Bender?

Carl M. Bender is an American theoretical physicist and mathematician known for his contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. He is currently a professor at Washington University in St. Louis.

2. What is Advanced Mathematical Methods?

Advanced Mathematical Methods is a field of study that focuses on the use of advanced mathematical techniques to solve complex problems in physics and engineering. It combines concepts from calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to provide a powerful toolkit for solving difficult problems.

3. What are some of Carl M. Bender's contributions to Advanced Mathematical Methods?

Carl M. Bender has made significant contributions to the study of advanced mathematical methods, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. He is known for his work on the application of complex analysis and perturbation theory to problems in quantum mechanics, as well as the development of the Bender-Wu asymptotic analysis method.

4. What is the Bender-Wu asymptotic analysis method?

The Bender-Wu asymptotic analysis method is a powerful mathematical technique developed by Carl M. Bender and Tai Tsun Wu in the 1970s. It is used to solve complex problems in quantum mechanics, and involves the use of complex analysis and perturbation theory to obtain approximate solutions.

5. How has Carl M. Bender's work impacted the field of physics?

Carl M. Bender's work has had a significant impact on the field of physics, particularly in the area of quantum mechanics. His contributions to advanced mathematical methods have helped to solve many complex problems in this field, and his research continues to inspire new developments in theoretical physics.