1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnot Efficiency of a heat engine

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    My problem only gives me joules to work with. Is it possible to convert from joules of energy to temperature (Kelvin)?? If so how?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2
    Best to state the problem. Maybe we can see a way around it.

4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    An engine transfers 2.00x10^3 Joules of energy from a hot reservoir during a cycle and transfers 1.50x10^3 Joules as exhaust to a cold reservoir. Find the actual efficiency of the engine and then compare it to the carnot efficiency.

The actual efficiency is 75% I calculated. For carnot efficiency i need temperature, but I dont know how to get it.

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your calculation of the efficiency is wrong. Also, if you don't have the temperature of the reservoirs, you can't get the Carnot efficiency.

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5
    The actual efficiency of the engine

[itex]\epsilon=\frac{work \; done \; by \; the \; engine}{total \; energy \; used \; by \; it}[/itex]

7. Nov 9, 2012 #6
    My book says (efficiency=energy output/energy input)
    Which would give me 75% I believe.
    So there is no way to get the carnot efficiency?

8. Nov 9, 2012 #7
    The engine extracts energy between the input and output reservoirs of the engine, this it converts into work. Look in the section on the 2nd law of Thermodynamics how to convert the transferred heat to temperatures.

9. Nov 9, 2012 #8
    The 75% is the Carnot engine's efficiency.

10. Nov 9, 2012 #9
    Hmmm interesting. My book does not go in to depth very much, because im in a survey class, so I dont understand how you could calculate it without having your temperatrure. The only equation I got in my book for carnot efficiency is
    carnot efficiency=(Thot-Tcold)/ Thot

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  11. Nov 9, 2012 #10
    For a Carnot engine it is assumed that all of the extracted heat, QH - QL (high, low), is converted into work by the engine, so that its efficiency is given by

[itex]\epsilon=\frac{Q_{H}-Q_{L}}{Q_{H}}[/itex]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  12. Nov 9, 2012 #11

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

W = Qh-Ql for any heat engine. So this is the definition of efficiency for any heat engine. To calculate the Carnot efficiency, the maximum efficiency of any possible heat engine operating between these two reservoirs, you would need to know the temperatures, Th and Tc.

AM

13. Nov 9, 2012 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The heat exhausted to the cold reservoir is not the energy output of the heat engine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook