Cartan Formalism: Mapping Tetrad Field to Minkowski Spacetime

• Thread starter paweld
  • Start date
In summary, the tetrad field e^I = e^I_\mu \textrm{d} x^\mu is a mapping from the tangent space of the spacetime into Minkowski spacetime because it "neutralizes" spacetime curvature and projects a continuously flat (Minkowski) spacetime along a wordline of an observer. This can also be achieved in GR by changing to a frame-field basis, but Cartan formalism begins with the frame (tetrad) field rather than the metric.
paweld
Why it is said that tetrad field [tex]e^I = e^I_\mu \textrm{d} x^\mu [/tex] is a mapping
from tangent space of the spacetime into Minkowski spacetime?

Physics news on Phys.org
paweld said:
Why it is said that tetrad field [tex]e^I = e^I_\mu \textrm{d} x^\mu [/tex] is a mapping
from tangent space of the spacetime into Minkowski spacetime?
Because it "neutralizes" spacetime curvature and projects a continuously flat (Minkowski) spacetime along a wordline of an observer.

Passionflower said:
Because it "neutralizes" spacetime curvature and projects a continuously flat (Minkowski) spacetime along a wordline of an observer.

Yes, and the same thing can be achieved in GR by changing to a frame-field basis. It seems that Cartan formalism starts with the frame (tetrad) field and not the metric.

Related to Cartan Formalism: Mapping Tetrad Field to Minkowski Spacetime

1. What is Cartan formalism?

Cartan formalism is a mathematical framework used in general relativity to describe the relationship between a tetrad field and Minkowski spacetime. It was developed by the mathematician Elie Cartan in the early 20th century.

2. What is a tetrad field?

A tetrad field, also known as a vierbein field, is a set of four orthonormal vectors that can be used to describe the geometry of a curved spacetime. It is a key component in the formulation of the Cartan formalism.

3. How is the tetrad field mapped to Minkowski spacetime?

The Cartan formalism uses differential forms and the structure equations of the Riemannian geometry to map the tetrad field to Minkowski spacetime. This mapping allows for a mathematical representation of the gravitational field in terms of the tetrad field.

4. What are the advantages of using Cartan formalism?

One of the main advantages of Cartan formalism is that it provides a more elegant and concise mathematical description of general relativity compared to the traditional tensor formalism. It also allows for a better understanding of the geometry of spacetime and the gravitational field.

5. Are there any applications of Cartan formalism?

Cartan formalism has been used in various areas of physics, including cosmology, black hole physics, and gravitational wave research. It has also been applied in other fields such as differential geometry and mathematical physics.