1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartan's first structure equation proof

1. May 4, 2006 #1

r16

this is my first post on this site but it looks like the sort of ppl that i would like to associate myself with.

Unfourtanately, I have not had any formal schooling for any mathematics above calculus but i have read a few books and papers and am trying to make due.

I was studying about the cartan's first structure equation and was looking at this proof :

[​IMG]

where [tex] \nabla_x [/tex] is a koszul connection, [tex] e_i [/tex] is a basis and [tex] \partial_j A^j_i [/tex] is a change of basis from e and [tex] \omega [/tex] is a standard connection in the actual equation :

[​IMG]

In step 3 why can the exterior derivitave be applied to [tex] A^j_i [/tex]?

I am no impact no idea on this step and it seems quite important so i dont want to skip it. Any ideas what im missing?

**nb in equation 2 [tex] \omega^i_j [/tex] should be [tex] \omega^j_i [/tex]

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If [itex]f[/itex] is a function, how is the exterior derivative [itex]df[/itex] defined?

It may prove useful to think about vector fields [itex]X[/itex] and/or a coodinate basis

[tex]\left\{\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \right\}[/itex]

to answer this.

Regards,
    George

4. May 4, 2006 #3

r16

that may be my biggest problem. I am a visual learner, but I dont have a good physical picture of 'd'.

Algebraically, d is defined a [tex] d = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} dx^i[/tex].
    d applied to the 0-form [tex]f[/tex] gives a 1-form [tex]df[/tex].

Then it would follow that [tex] X(f) = df (X) [/tex] as in the definition of a 1-form.

However is [tex] A^j_i [/tex] equivalent to a scalar because the contravariant and covariant parts of the [tex] [\frac{1}{1}] [/tex] valent tensor cancel out?

This is opposed to [tex] \omega^k_i [/tex], a [tex] [\frac{1}{1}] [/tex] tensor as well, which acts as a 1-form on X. Is there a standard of how a tensor acts or is it based on the definition of the tensor?

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  5. May 5, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For each [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex], [itex]A^{i}_{j}[/itex] is a component, i.e., a function, while each [itex]\omega^{i}_{j}[/itex] is a 1-form, and, consequently, they are very different animals.

Consider a couple of examples. A vector field [itex]X[/itex] can be expressed in terms a set of basis fields as [itex]X = X^{i} e_{i}[/itex]. Each [itex]X^i[/itex] is is a component, i.e., a scalar-valued function of the base space, while each [itex]e_i[/itex] is a vector field.

Similary, if [itex]\omega^{i}_{j} = \omega^{i}_{jk} dx^k[/itex], each [itex]\omega^{i}_{jk}[/itex] is a component, while each [itex]dx^k[/itex] is a 1-form.

Bottom line: sometime indices label comonents, and sometimes they label other objects.

Welcome to Physics Forums, and, if I haven't answered all your questions, or if my explanation is not very clear, keep asking questions.

Regards,
    George

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  6. May 5, 2006 #5

r16

thank you very much sir, that clears it up perfectly.

However i do have one more inquery. What is a good physical/geometrical description of an exterior derivitave?

7. May 5, 2006 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, I don't know a good physical/geometrical description of an exterior derivative. Maybe someone else does.

I just work abstractly with its properties.

Regards,
    George

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?