1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian equation of the plane

1. Jan 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the line "l" is given by the equations 2x-y+z=0, x+z-1=0, and if M is the point (1,3,-2), find a Cartesian equation of the plane.
    a) passing through M and l
    b) passing through M and orthogonal to l
    2. Relevant equations
    (r-r0)n=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I expanded the equation above, so i got rn=r0n
    then, (x,y,z)n=(1,3,-2)n.
    And i don't know how to get the normal vector from those two equations

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

can you be more specific? does the plane contain the line or the point? or does it contain both?

4. Jan 17, 2013 #3
    sorry, i forgot some of them.

a) passing through M and l
    b) passing through M and orthogonal to l

5. Jan 17, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

and what course? vector algebra?

also you really need to show more work before anyone here at PF will help.

6. Jan 17, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I presume you know: If <A, B, C> is a vector normal to a plane and [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] is a point in the plane, then the Cartesian equation of the plane is [itex]A(x- x_0)+ B(y- y_0)+ C(z- z_0)= 0[/itex].

2x- y+ z= 0, x+ z=1. Subtract the second equation from the first to eliminate z: x- y= -1 or x= y- 1. If you let y= 0, x= -1 so x+ z- 1= -1+ z- 1= 0 gives z= 2. (1, 0, 2) is a point on the given line. If you let y= 1 in x= y- 1, x= 0 so x+ z- 1= z- 1= 0 gives z= 1. (0, 1, 1) is a point on the given line. Those, together with (1, 3, -2) give you three points in the plane. <1- 1, 3- 0, -2- 2>= <0, 3, -4> is a vector in the plane. <1- 0, 3- 1, -2- 1>= <1, 2, -3> is another vector in the plane. Their cross product is normal to the plane.

<2, 1, 1> is a vector normal to 2x- y+ z= 0. <1, 0, 1> is a vector normal to x+ z= 1. Their cross product is normal to both so normal to any plane perpendicular to the line. You have a normal vector and a point in the plane.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook