1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Catenary - rope hanging between poles

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem is regarding approximating the value of a in y= a cosh(x/a) using Newton's method, and then use a to find the length of the rope.
    That equation represents the curve formed by a rope hanging with it's ends attached to poles at a distance 2b.
    (cosh() = hyperbolic cosine)

distance between poles = 2b = 400 ft.
    sag = S = 30 ft.

2. Relevant equations

(previously proven eqns)

L = 2 a sinh(b/a)
    where L is the length of the rope
    a is a physical constant
    and 2b is the distance between the poles that the rope is hanging from

S = a cosh(b/a) - a
    where S is the sag (vertical distance between highest and lowest points on the rope)
    a is a physical constant
    2b is distance between poles

3. The attempt at a solution

I am really not sure how to do this, as I do not know how/why Newton's method could be used to get a value for a.
    Also, they gave a hint, a clip from the Calc book I am reading: "[Hint: First let u = 200/a]"
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2
    Re: Catenary

How about f(a) = a cosh(b/a) - a - S
  4. Dec 30, 2009 #3

Is that correct? I didnt put that under at attempted solution because I thought it was not even right since I tried newton's method on it and it wasn't really homing in on a particular number, or perhaps I messed up with something. I also thought I did it wrong because, first of all the book did not give a hint to how many iterations to do and my answer, after about 4 iterations, was 470 and the answer in the book was about 404 something.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  5. Dec 30, 2009 #4

Is that your answer for the value of a, or the value of L? Seems to me like it should work. Maybe you should post your attempt
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook