Catenary - rope hanging between poles

In summary: I am just not sure how to go about solving this.In summary, the problem is attempting to approximate the value of a in y= a cosh(x/a) using Newton's method, and then use a to find the length of the rope.
Jonnyb42

Homework Statement

Problem is regarding approximating the value of a in y= a cosh(x/a) using Newton's method, and then use a to find the length of the rope.
That equation represents the curve formed by a rope hanging with it's ends attached to poles at a distance 2b.
(cosh() = hyperbolic cosine)

distance between poles = 2b = 400 ft.
sag = S = 30 ft.

Homework Equations

(previously proven eqns)

L = 2 a sinh(b/a)
where L is the length of the rope
a is a physical constant
and 2b is the distance between the poles that the rope is hanging from

S = a cosh(b/a) - a
where S is the sag (vertical distance between highest and lowest points on the rope)
a is a physical constant
2b is distance between poles

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really not sure how to do this, as I do not know how/why Newton's method could be used to get a value for a.
Also, they gave a hint, a clip from the Calc book I am reading: "[Hint: First let u = 200/a]"

Physics news on Phys.org

How about f(a) = a cosh(b/a) - a - S

Is that correct? I didnt put that under at attempted solution because I thought it was not even right since I tried Newton's method on it and it wasn't really homing in on a particular number, or perhaps I messed up with something. I also thought I did it wrong because, first of all the book did not give a hint to how many iterations to do and my answer, after about 4 iterations, was 470 and the answer in the book was about 404 something.

Last edited:

Is that your answer for the value of a, or the value of L? Seems to me like it should work. Maybe you should post your attempt

What is a catenary?

A catenary is a curve formed by a hanging rope or chain that is supported at both ends. It is a natural shape that results from the force of gravity pulling evenly on the rope or chain.

How is a catenary different from a parabola?

A parabola is a symmetrical curve that is formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane. A catenary, on the other hand, is asymmetrical and is formed solely by the force of gravity acting on the hanging rope or chain.

What are some real-world applications of the catenary?

The catenary shape is often seen in the design of suspension bridges, where the weight of the bridge deck is evenly distributed along the length of the cables. It is also used in the construction of arches, domes, and other structures where the weight needs to be evenly distributed.

How is the catenary curve calculated?

The equation for a catenary curve is y = a * cosh(x/a), where a is a constant that represents the length of the hanging rope or chain. This equation can be solved using calculus and other mathematical techniques.

What happens if the weight on the catenary is not evenly distributed?

If the weight on the catenary is not evenly distributed, the curve will no longer be a perfect catenary. It may still resemble a catenary, but it will have a different shape and may not be as strong or stable. This is why it is important to evenly distribute weight when using the catenary shape in construction or engineering projects.