Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Cauchy convolution with other distribution

1. Jul 18, 2016 #1

DrDu

Science Advisor

I have a set of data which are probably convolutions of a Cauchy distribution with some other distribution. I am looking for some model for this other distribution so that a tractable analytic formula results. I know that the convolution Cauchy with Cauchy is again Cauchy, but I want the other function in the convolution to have defined first and second moment. Apparently there is a convolution of Cauchy with a normal distribution called Voigt distribution, but there is no analytical formula available. Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm rather curious how you know it's a convolution with a Cauchy distribution.
    Do you have any information about this Cauchy distribution? Is it the standard Cauchy distribution? Do you know its median?

4. Jul 18, 2016 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

The Cauchy function is a theoretical model for concentration as a function of other concentrations and an equilibrium constant, not a statistical distribution. However I want to fit a distribution of the medians of the equilibrium constant.

5. Jul 19, 2016 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

For what are we seeking an analytical formula - for the probability density function of the convolution ?

Does that amount to saying:

Find a non-negative function [itex] g(x) [/itex] such that [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(x) dx [/itex] exists and [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{Ax^2 + Bx + C} g(y-x) dx [/itex] has a closed form solution.

6. Jul 19, 2016 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

Yes, this was my problem. I solved it using a Sips distribution as g, which is a function of ln x rather than x, and a partial fraction decomposition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted