Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy-Schwarz for two spacelike vectors

1. Aug 28, 2015 #1

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2015 #2

martinbn

Science Advisor

You can use the idea of the "usual" proof for the Euclidean case. If ##v## and ##w## are space-like then for any real number ##t## consider the vector ##x=v+tw## and its inner product with itself. You have ##(x,x)=(v+tw,v+tw)=|v|^2+2(v,w)t+|w|^2t^2##. The inequality holds if and only if the discriminant of the quadratic polynomial is negative, if and only if the polynomial has only positive values. So if the inequality hold if and only if the span of the two vectors consists of space-like vectors.

4. Aug 29, 2015 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, martinbn! I'll have to work that out and make sure I understand it.

5. Sep 6, 2015 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a discussion of Cauchy-Schwarz and triangle inequalities now in section 1.5 of my SR book, http://www.lightandmatter.com/sr/ . The case we discussed here is relegated to a homework problem, where I suggest the idea of martinbn's argument (with credit to martinbn) and ask the reader to carry it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook