Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Center of Gravity and probability

1. Dec 23, 2009 #1
    Greetings! I'm new to the forum. I am a math major with a concentration in probability. A relative wants me to find the center of gravity of the pipe. I attached a diagram below. I have no clue how to find it. I have never seen anything like this before. I know that you integrate over the x and y regions to find the center of gravity. Also, the diagram I was sent does not have a coordinate system. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I don't understand the diagram. What's the triangle in the diagram on the left supposed to show?

Anyhow, you can approximate the pipe as being made up of 2 cylinders and two tori. You can then figure out the center of mass of each before combining them with the formula Mx_com = m1x1 + m2x2. Depending on the level of accuracy you want, you can even approximate the pipe as being made up of 3 hollow cylinders connecting at right angles.

4. Dec 24, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your response. I think the triangle is suppose resemble a rig with weights on it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook