1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Gravity and probability

1. Dec 23, 2009 #1
    Greetings! I'm new to the forum. I am a math major with a concentration in probability. A relative wants me to find the center of gravity of the pipe. I attached a diagram below. I have no clue how to find it. I have never seen anything like this before. I know that you integrate over the x and y regions to find the center of gravity. Also, the diagram I was sent does not have a coordinate system. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

I don't understand the diagram. What's the triangle in the diagram on the left supposed to show?

Anyhow, you can approximate the pipe as being made up of 2 cylinders and two tori. You can then figure out the center of mass of each before combining them with the formula Mx_com = m1x1 + m2x2. Depending on the level of accuracy you want, you can even approximate the pipe as being made up of 3 hollow cylinders connecting at right angles.
  4. Dec 24, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your response. I think the triangle is suppose resemble a rig with weights on it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook