1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass and moment of inertia of catenary

1. Dec 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A homogeneous catenary ##z=acosh(x/a)##, ##y=0## and ##x\in \left [ -a,a \right ]## is given. Calculate the center of mass and moment of inertia

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I started with ##x=at##, for##t\in \left [ -1,1 \right ]##, therefore y remains ##y=0## and ##z=acosh(ta/a)=acosh(t)##.
    Btw, a is constant greater than zero, not a sign of arcus or any other inverse function.

Ok, now ##r(t)=(at,0,acosh(t))## and ##\dot{r}(t)=(a,0,asinh(t))## and ##\left |\dot{r} \right |=acosh(t)##

So the length of the catenary is ##l=\int_{-1}^{1}acosh(t)dt=2asinh(1)##

The catenary is symmetrical on x axis, but point z is given as ##z=\frac{\int_{-1}^{1}a^2cosh^2(t)dt}{\int_{-1}^{1}acosh(t)dt}=\frac{a^2}{2asinh(1)}\int_{-1}^{1}cosh^2(t)dt=\frac{asinh(2)}{4sinh(1)}=\frac{a}{2}cosh(1)##

I would just like to know if this is ok, before I start calculating moment of inertia?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your method looks fine, but I'm getting a different result for the integral of cosh2 t.

4. Dec 26, 2013 #3
    Hmmm, lets take a look..

##a^2\int_{-1}^{1}cosh^2(t)dt=\frac{a^2}{2}\int_{-1}^{1}(1+cosh(2t))dt=\frac{a^2}{2}(t+\frac{1}{2}sinh(2t))## for ##t## form ##0## to ##2\pi ##. (I don't know how to type bar with integrating borders in latex...

##\frac{a^2}{2}(t+\frac{1}{2}sinh(2t))=\frac{a^2}{2}(1+\frac{1}{2}sinh(2)-1-\frac{1}{2}sinh(-2))=\frac{a^2}{2}sinh(2)##

OR is it not true that ##cosh^2(t)=\frac{1}{2}(1+cosh(2t)## or do I have some other problems? :/

5. Dec 26, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You messed up the constant term. It works out to 1-(-1) = 2, not 1-1=0.

6. Dec 27, 2013 #5
    True... Thank you vela!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted