Center of mass of composite body

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
aaronfue
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In the image below, calculate the center of mass (x-bar,y-bar) of the composite body.

Homework Equations



I've used all of the equations for area for the shapes needed (triangle, square, circle).

The Attempt at a Solution



I have attached my calculations and would appreciate if someone could verify that they are correct.

Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • Center of Mass Problem.JPG
    Center of Mass Problem.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 787
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 631
Physics news on Phys.org
The table in your figure contains mostly formulas with no data.
 
@Steamking: I've attached both the images with formulas and with the answers to the calculations to view.

@mrb: I believe it is NOT an equilateral triangle therefore the formula should be correct. And the area calculations for the rest of the shapes I've verified to be correct as well.
 
Attachments
  • Formulas.JPG
    Formulas.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 676
  • Calculations.JPG
    Calculations.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 607
aaronfue said:
@mrb: I believe it is NOT an equilateral triangle therefore the formula should be correct.
Who is mrb?
Of course it is not equilateral, it has 1 and sqrt(5/4) as sidelengths.
Judging from your formulas in columns F and G and rows 3 to 5, columns D and E are supposed to have the center of mass position of the geometric object. y=1.75 is certainly not the y-position of its center of mass (it is outside the whole object), and x=0.5 is wrong as well.

And the area calculations for the rest of the shapes I've verified to be correct as well.
Consider the square, for example: It has a height of 1 and a width of 1, so its area is 1. Your formula, however, gives 1.5. Even worse: It gives the same area for the hole, which is obviously wrong.
 
Sorry...mfb.

I did notice those errors for the areas and they should be correct...now.