1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass & Displacement Question

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A big olive (m = 0.051 kg) lies at the origin of an xy coordinate system, and a big Brazil nut (M = 0.56 kg) lies at the point (0.81, 3.0) m. At t = 0, a force Fo = (2.6 + 1.7) N begins to act on the olive, and a force Fn = (-4.4 -3.4) N begins to act on the nut.

2. Relevant equations
    What is the (a)x and (b)y displacement of the center of mass of the olive-nut system at t = 5.6 s, with respect to its position at t = 0?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so far, I found X center of mass, and Y center of mass. (0.742,2.75)
    I don't know what to do afterwards.
    I tried combining the forces, resulting in a Fnetx and Fnety.
    So... now... me lost >.< Can someone give me a little help please.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If you have the net force resolved in x,y and the total mass, then doesn't that determine the acceleration in x,y of the CoM?

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    Yes, so.. er this is where I get confused.
    Should I just stick the acceleration in x and y into the formula
    x = x0 + .5at^2 ?? with the x being the 0.742 and then 2.75 to find the final x,y?
    It sounds right but I just seem to doubt it.

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I'd forge ahead.

Since they want displacement of the center of mass, whatever the initial position of the CoM when the olive-nut salad was at rest would be 0 for purposes of calculating displacement of CoM from the constant acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook