Center of momentum frame question:

In summary: INIn summary, the two chunks after the explosion move in the same direction with an x component of average acceleration of 16.7 cm/s.
Michael12

Homework Statement

An 8.0-kg object is sliding across the ice at 2.34 m/s in the positive x direction. An internal explosion occurs, splitting the object into two equal chunks and adding 16 J of kinetic energy to system. The explosive separation takes place over a 0.16-s time interval. Assume that the one of the chunks after explosion moves in the positive x direction. The x component of the average acceleration of this chunk during the explosion is a(front,x), the x component of the average acceleration of the other chunk during the explosion is a(rear,x). What are the x components of the average accelerations of the two chunks during the explosion?

Homework Equations

V[cm] = (m[1]v[1]+m[2]v[2]) / (m[1]+m[2]) = v[1] for this problem since there is only one initially moving mass
K[e,cm] = 1/2 * m[total] * v^2[cm]
probably more equations but I'm not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't even know where to begin with this problem. I'm really lost in this class so far and I don't understand how to work in the 16 joules or how kinetic energy changes in a center of mass reference frame. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You can view an explosion as a perfectly inelastic collision with time running backwards. What is common to all collisions? The same is common to all explosions. As for the 16 J, you know that energy is lost in an inelastic collision. This means that KEafter < KEbefore. When you reverse time and have an explosion, KEafter > KEbefore. Can you see where to begin now?

Michael12 said:

Homework Statement

An 8.0-kg object is sliding across the ice at 2.34 m/s in the positive x direction. An internal explosion occurs, splitting the object into two equal chunks and adding 16 J of kinetic energy to system. The explosive separation takes place over a 0.16-s time interval. Assume that the one of the chunks after explosion moves in the positive x direction. The x component of the average acceleration of this chunk during the explosion is a(front,x), the x component of the average acceleration of the other chunk during the explosion is a(rear,x). What are the x components of the average accelerations of the two chunks during the explosion?

1. The analysis is simplest in the centre of mass (COM) frame, where the initial momentum is 0. After explosion, the momentum of each chunk is ##p_i = \frac{m}{2}v_i## and the two momenta must sum to 0 (conservation of momentum). Write out the equation for total momentum in the COM frame after the collision in terms of mass and velocity of each chunk. How are the magnitudes of the velocities (ie. speeds) related?

2. Next, write out the equation for kinetic energy in the COM frame after the collision in terms of the velocities ##v_i##. (hint: How much KE did the explosion add?). From this (and knowing the relationship between the speeds of each chunk) you should be able to determine the final velocities in the COM frame.

3. Finally, you must relate these velocities to the average acceleration and time to find the average accelerations. How are they related? (hint: watch the signs).

AM

Last edited:

1. What is the center of momentum frame?

The center of momentum frame, also known as the center of mass frame, is a reference frame in which the total momentum of a system is equal to zero. In other words, the center of momentum frame is a frame of reference in which the system's momentum is conserved.

2. Why is the center of momentum frame important?

The center of momentum frame is important because it allows us to simplify complex systems by considering them from a reference frame where the total momentum is zero. This can make calculations and analysis easier, and often leads to a more intuitive understanding of the system.

3. How is the center of momentum frame calculated?

The center of momentum frame is calculated by finding the total momentum of the system and dividing it by the total mass of the system. This results in a velocity vector which represents the velocity of the center of momentum frame.

4. What is the difference between the center of momentum frame and the center of mass frame?

The terms "center of momentum frame" and "center of mass frame" are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. The center of mass frame is a reference frame in which the total mass of the system is located at a single point, whereas the center of momentum frame is a reference frame in which the total momentum of the system is equal to zero.

5. Can the center of momentum frame change?

Yes, the center of momentum frame can change depending on the reference frame chosen. However, in an isolated system where no external forces are acting, the center of momentum frame will remain constant.