Center of mass for a function defined body

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the x-coordinate of the center of mass for a uniform plate with a given thickness and length, using the formula S=1/M∫x.dm. The final equation for S is 1/M.w.p(2a^3+(a^3)/4), with M being substituted as p.w.∫1.dA. The participant confirms that the answer obtained is close to the expected value of (a/2,2a).
Redoctober

Homework Statement

The upper side of a uniform plate of thickness w is given by a function y(x) = 4a+x^2/a. Length of this plate on the x-axis is a . Find x coord of the center of mass of this object, with respect to the origin O . Take density of the plate as p

The Attempt at a Solution

Y(x)= 4a+(x^(2))/a

Can be restated as w.dA=w(4a+(x^(2))/a).dx
therefore using
w.dA.p=dm
w(4a+(x^(2))/a).dx.p=dm

distance from O to CoM qouted as S
will be S= 1/M∫x.dm
S=1/M∫x.w(4a+(x^(2))/a).p.dx
S=1/M.w.p∫(4ax+(x^3)/a).dx

therefore finally , integrating from x=0 to x=a

S=1/M.w.p(2a^3+(a^3)/4)
Mass M can be substituted by = p.w.∫1.dA = p.w.∫y(x).dx from 0 to a

Is this is correct ?! :) Thanks in advance

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You have roughly a rectangle of width a and height 4a. The center of mass you get should be close to (a/2,2a)? Did you get an answer close to this?

I did it for the x distance from the origin , i got 27/52*a which is about o.519a i.e nearly 1/2a

Redoctober said:
I did it for the x distance from the origin , i got 27/52*a which is about o.519a i.e nearly 1/2a

it is correct.

ehild

Yes, this is a correct approach to finding the center of mass for a function-defined body. Your use of integrals and substitution is appropriate and your final result looks correct. However, it would be helpful if you could label your equations and steps more clearly for the reader to follow. Additionally, be sure to include units in your final answer to indicate that it is a distance.

What is the definition of the center of mass for a function defined body?

The center of mass for a function defined body is a point that represents the average position of the mass of an object. It takes into account both the distribution and magnitude of the mass within the object.

How is the center of mass calculated for a function defined body?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles that make up the object. Each particle's position is multiplied by its mass and then divided by the total mass of the object.

Why is the concept of center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important in physics because it allows us to simplify the motion of an object by treating it as a single point. This simplifies calculations and makes it easier to analyze the motion of complex objects.

How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The lower an object's center of mass is, the more stable it will be. This is because a lower center of mass means that the object has a lower tendency to tip over or lose balance.

Can the center of mass be outside of an object's physical boundaries?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object's physical boundaries. This can happen if the object has a non-uniform distribution of mass, causing the center of mass to be located in an area with no physical mass present.