1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass of a Hollow 2D Triangle

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the center of mass a hollow 2D right triangle having legs of length A and B. The sides of the triangle are also extremely thin. Assume uniform density.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\overline{x}[/tex]=∫xmdx/∫mdx

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\overline{x}=\int\frac{ax^2dx}{b}/\int\frac{axdx}{b}[/tex]<-something like that
    my final answer was ([tex]\frac{a^2}{b}[/tex],[tex]\frac{b^2}{a}[/tex])

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi datdo! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(i can't see your picture yet, but …)

Wouldn't it be simpler to replace each side by an equal mass at its centre? :wink:

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    hmm.... i didn't think of that...
    A:(.5A,0)
    B:(0,.5B)
    hypotenuse:(.5A,.5B)
    [tex]\overline{x}=\frac{A*.5A+B*0+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}*.5A}{A+B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}=\frac{.5A^2+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}*.5A}{A+B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}[/tex]
    [tex]\overline{y}=\frac{A*0+B*.5B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}*.5B}{A+B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}=\frac{.5B^2+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}*.5B}{A+B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}[/tex]

Oh but I had to use integrals. I should have put in the problem.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  5. Apr 4, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi datdo! :smile:
    yeeees :rolleyes:

ok, then for the x-coordinate divide the triangle into "vertical" slices of thickness dx …

then for the bottom side just integrate xdx, and for the slanty side integrate … ? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook