Center of Mass of a Hollow 2D Triangle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
datdo
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What is the center of mass a hollow 2D right triangle having legs of length A and B. The sides of the triangle are also extremely thin. Assume uniform density.

Homework Equations



[tex]\overline{x}[/tex]=∫xmdx/∫mdx

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\overline{x}=\int\frac{ax^2dx}{b}/\int\frac{axdx}{b}[/tex]<-something like that
my final answer was ([tex]\frac{a^2}{b}[/tex],[tex]\frac{b^2}{a}[/tex])
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

datdo said:
What is the center of mass a hollow 2D right triangle having legs of length A and B. The sides of the triangle are also extremely thin. Assume uniform density.

Hi datdo! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(i can't see your picture yet, but …)

Wouldn't it be simpler to replace each side by an equal mass at its centre? :wink:
 
hmm... i didn't think of that...
A:(.5A,0)
B:(0,.5B)
hypotenuse:(.5A,.5B)
[tex]\overline{x}=\frac{A*.5A+B*0+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}*.5A}{A+B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}=\frac{.5A^2+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}*.5A}{A+B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\overline{y}=\frac{A*0+B*.5B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}*.5B}{A+B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}=\frac{.5B^2+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}*.5B}{A+B+\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}[/tex]

Oh but I had to use integrals. I should have put in the problem.
 
Last edited:
Hi datdo! :smile:
datdo said:
Oh but I had to use integrals. I should have put in the problem.

yeeees :rolleyes: …

ok, then for the x-coordinate divide the triangle into "vertical" slices of thickness dx …

then for the bottom side just integrate xdx, and for the slanty side integrate … ? :smile: