Center of mass of an equilateral triangle (Kleppner)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the center of mass of an equilateral triangle using the formula ## \vec R = \frac{1}{M} \int \vec r \ dm ## and the equation ## dm = \frac{M}{A} dx dy ##, where A is the area of the triangle. The solution involves setting a pair of orthogonal axis and finding the position for the center of mass. The apex of the triangle can be placed on either the x-axis or y-axis, but it is easier to use the y-axis due to symmetry. The equations of the lines forming the sides of the triangle are needed in order to determine the upper limit of the integration interval.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Find the center of mass of an equilateral triangle with side ##a##

Homework Equations

## \vec R = \frac{1}{M} \int \vec r \ dm ##

## dm = \frac{M}{A} dx dy ##

## A = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}a^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I set a pair of orthogonal axis ##(\vec x,\vec y)## so that one side of the triangle lies on the ##x## axis, and one vertex is at the origin.
I find the following position for the center of mass:
##R_x = \frac{1}{A} (\int_0^{\frac{a}{2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}x} x \ dy\ dx + \int_\frac{a}{2}^{a}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} x \ dy\ dx ) = \frac{a}{2}##
##R_y = \frac{1}{A} (\int_0^{\frac{a}{2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}x} y \ dy\ dx + \int_\frac{a}{2}^{a}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} y \ dy\ dx ) = \frac{a}{2\sqrt{3}}##

Do you think it is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the correct answer. It would have been easier to put the apex of the triangle on the y-axis: then, by symmetry, R_x = 0.

I did not think about that! Thank you!

geoffrey159 said:
##R_x = \frac{1}{A} (\int_0^{\frac{a}{2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}x} x \ dy\ dx + \int_\frac{a}{2}^{a}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} x \ dy\ dx ) = \frac{a}{2}##
##R_y = \frac{1}{A} (\int_0^{\frac{a}{2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}x} y \ dy\ dx + \int_\frac{a}{2}^{a}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} y \ dy\ dx ) = \frac{a}{2\sqrt{3}}##

Please let me ask: I think I understood why the upper term from integration interval is equal to [itex]x\sqrt{3}[/itex], is the height in function of x, but what is the idea behind the upper term from [itex]\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} x \ dy[/itex]?

duarthiago said:
Please let me ask: I think I understood why the upper term from integration interval is equal to [itex]x\sqrt{3}[/itex], is the height in function of x, but what is the idea behind the upper term from [itex]\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} x \ dy[/itex]?

What are the equations of the two lines, which intersect at the apex, forming the sides of this triangle?

SteamKing said:
What are the equations of the two lines, which intersect at the apex, forming the sides of this triangle?
Oh, of course, it would be something like a piecewise function where [itex]x \sqrt{3}[/itex] if [itex]0 \leq x \leq \frac{a}{2}[/itex] and [itex]a \sqrt{3} - x \sqrt{3}[/itex] if [itex]\frac{a}{2} < x \leq a[/itex]. Thank you for your answer.

1. What is the formula for calculating the center of mass of an equilateral triangle?

The center of mass of an equilateral triangle can be calculated using the formula (1/3) * h, where h is the height of the triangle. This formula can also be expressed as (1/3) * a * √3, where a is the length of one side of the triangle.

2. How is the center of mass of an equilateral triangle different from other shapes?

The center of mass of an equilateral triangle is unique because it is located at the intersection of the three medians of the triangle. This is different from other shapes, where the center of mass may be located at the geometric center or at another point.

3. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important in physics because it is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. This makes it easier to analyze the motion and behavior of an object, as all external forces can be simplified and applied at the center of mass.

4. How does the location of the center of mass affect the stability of an equilateral triangle?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an equilateral triangle. If the center of mass is located within the base of the triangle, the triangle will be stable and will not tip over. However, if the center of mass is located outside the base, the triangle will be unstable and will tip over.

5. Can the center of mass of an equilateral triangle be located outside the triangle?

No, the center of mass of an equilateral triangle will always be located within the triangle. This is because the medians of an equilateral triangle intersect at a single point, which is the center of mass. If the center of mass is located outside the triangle, it would not be equilateral, violating the definition of an equilateral triangle.