Center of mass of an equilateral triangle (Kleppner)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 14K views
geoffrey159
Messages
535
Reaction score
68

Homework Statement


Find the center of mass of an equilateral triangle with side ##a##

Homework Equations


## \vec R = \frac{1}{M} \int \vec r \ dm ##

## dm = \frac{M}{A} dx dy ##

## A = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}a^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution



I set a pair of orthogonal axis ##(\vec x,\vec y)## so that one side of the triangle lies on the ##x## axis, and one vertex is at the origin.
I find the following position for the center of mass:
##R_x = \frac{1}{A} (\int_0^{\frac{a}{2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}x} x \ dy\ dx + \int_\frac{a}{2}^{a}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} x \ dy\ dx ) = \frac{a}{2}##
##R_y = \frac{1}{A} (\int_0^{\frac{a}{2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}x} y \ dy\ dx + \int_\frac{a}{2}^{a}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} y \ dy\ dx ) = \frac{a}{2\sqrt{3}}##

Do you think it is correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the correct answer. It would have been easier to put the apex of the triangle on the y-axis: then, by symmetry, R_x = 0.
 
geoffrey159 said:
##R_x = \frac{1}{A} (\int_0^{\frac{a}{2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}x} x \ dy\ dx + \int_\frac{a}{2}^{a}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} x \ dy\ dx ) = \frac{a}{2}##
##R_y = \frac{1}{A} (\int_0^{\frac{a}{2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}x} y \ dy\ dx + \int_\frac{a}{2}^{a}\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} y \ dy\ dx ) = \frac{a}{2\sqrt{3}}##

Please let me ask: I think I understood why the upper term from integration interval is equal to [itex]x\sqrt{3}[/itex], is the height in function of x, but what is the idea behind the upper term from [itex]\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} x \ dy[/itex]?
 
duarthiago said:
Please let me ask: I think I understood why the upper term from integration interval is equal to [itex]x\sqrt{3}[/itex], is the height in function of x, but what is the idea behind the upper term from [itex]\int_0^{\sqrt{3}(a-x)} x \ dy[/itex]?

What are the equations of the two lines, which intersect at the apex, forming the sides of this triangle?
 
SteamKing said:
What are the equations of the two lines, which intersect at the apex, forming the sides of this triangle?
Oh, of course, it would be something like a piecewise function where [itex]x \sqrt{3}[/itex] if [itex]0 \leq x \leq \frac{a}{2}[/itex] and [itex]a \sqrt{3} - x \sqrt{3}[/itex] if [itex]\frac{a}{2} < x \leq a[/itex]. Thank you for your answer.