1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass of a slender rod with variable density

1. May 10, 2013 #1
    Hi to everybody

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I´ll show the problem with a picture:

2qtac8h.jpg

2. Relevant equations

L[itex]\overline{x}[/itex]=∫xc ρ dl

3. The attempt at a solution

Well the total lenght of the rod is 1 feet, I only need to calculate the integral.

The moment xc of a differential element of mass of the rod is the distance x to the y axis, and the density is known so:

∫x * (1-x/2) dx , from 0 to 1, the result for me is:

1 * [itex]\overline{x}[/itex] = 1/3

So [itex]\overline{x}[/itex]= 1/3;

Unfortunately the result is 4/9, I can´t see where are my mistakes, maybe I´m not using the proper arm lenght or something.

The problem doesn´t give you any coordinate system, only the x axis, I assume that the y axis is orthogonal, and the equation for the moments around that axis gives you the x center of mass.

I suppose that nothing would change if I had used another coordinate system, Am I right?

I assumed too that the constant ρ0 at the equation for the density would not change anything, but maybe that is a mistake.

Where are my mistakes?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Instead of L*xcm, the left hand side should be M*xcm. Where M is the mass of the rod.

You can't just drop a constant, like you did when you integrated. :wink:

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  4. May 10, 2013 #3
    -Ups, you are right I was used to use the equation of the centroids with constant density and I wrote the wrong equation.

-I see, they cancel after integrating on both parts of the equation.

Now I get the right result.

Thank you very much!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted