1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass of right triangle

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    I've been reading that the center of mass of a right triangle - the coordinates of the COM, is (1/3b,1/3h)- I can't for the life of me figure out why this is. Is there some sort of clear proof I can take a look at?
    I don't really know what to integrate..

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2
    The center of mass of a triangle is at the intersection of its medians. Why? Because each median divides the triangle into two equal area (which means equal mass) subtriangles, so all those subtriangles balance each other out.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    i was actually talking about how to get the answer from an integration.

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Sep 7, 2012 #5
    xcmƩmi=Ʃmixi
    xcmM=Ʃ(dm)ixi ........(1)

Taking a triangle lying on x-axis with point of hypotenuse and adjacent at origin
    Then you slice vertiacally the triangle into small as possible until each slice resembles rectangular piece with each area equal to f(x)dx......(2)

Let the length of adjacent is a and opposite length is b.
    Now the density related to area is total mass divided by total area
    ρ=Mass/Area=2M/ab
    Thus dm/dA= 2M/ab
    dm=dA(2M/ab)
    Subt.(2)

dm=f(x)dx (2M/ab)
    f(x)=(b/a)x
    Thus
    dm=x(b/a)dx(2M/ab)
    dm=2M/a2 (xdx)

Subt. in (1)
    xcmM=Ʃ(2M/a2 (xdx))ixi

[itex]x=\frac {2}{a^2}\int_0^a \! x^2 \, \mathrm{d} x[/itex]

7. Sep 8, 2012 #6
    that pdf is wonderful, ehild. And thanks azizlwl- very helpful. I was having trouble reading the integrals because they looked complicated, but I think I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook