Center of mass of right triangle

In summary, the center of mass of a right triangle is located at (1/3b, 1/3h) and can be calculated using the formula xcm=Ʃ(2M/a2 (xdx))ixi, where M is the total mass, a is the length of the adjacent side, and x is the variable representing the slices of the triangle. This can also be understood by dividing the triangle into equal area subtriangles along the medians. Integration can be used to find the coordinates of the center of mass.
mariexotoni
I've been reading that the center of mass of a right triangle - the coordinates of the COM, is (1/3b,1/3h)- I can't for the life of me figure out why this is. Is there some sort of clear proof I can take a look at?
I don't really know what to integrate..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass of a triangle is at the intersection of its medians. Why? Because each median divides the triangle into two equal area (which means equal mass) subtriangles, so all those subtriangles balance each other out.

i was actually talking about how to get the answer from an integration.

xcmƩmi=Ʃmixi
xcmM=Ʃ(dm)ixi ...(1)

Taking a triangle lying on x-axis with point of hypotenuse and adjacent at origin
Then you slice vertiacally the triangle into small as possible until each slice resembles rectangular piece with each area equal to f(x)dx...(2)

Let the length of adjacent is a and opposite length is b.
Now the density related to area is total mass divided by total area
ρ=Mass/Area=2M/ab
Thus dm/dA= 2M/ab
dm=dA(2M/ab)
Subt.(2)

dm=f(x)dx (2M/ab)
f(x)=(b/a)x
Thus
dm=x(b/a)dx(2M/ab)
dm=2M/a2 (xdx)

Subt. in (1)
xcmM=Ʃ(2M/a2 (xdx))ixi

[itex]x=\frac {2}{a^2}\int_0^a \! x^2 \, \mathrm{d} x[/itex]

that pdf is wonderful, ehild. And thanks azizlwl- very helpful. I was having trouble reading the integrals because they looked complicated, but I think I got it now.

What is the formula for finding the center of mass of a right triangle?

The formula for finding the center of mass of a right triangle is (1/3) * h * b, where h is the height and b is the base of the triangle.

How do you determine the coordinates of the center of mass of a right triangle?

The coordinates of the center of mass of a right triangle can be determined by dividing the sum of the x-coordinates and y-coordinates of the triangle's vertices by 3.

Why is the center of mass of a right triangle important?

The center of mass of a right triangle is important because it represents the point where the triangle's mass can be considered to be concentrated. It is also used in various mathematical and physics applications, such as determining the balance point of an object.

Is the center of mass always located inside the triangle?

No, the center of mass of a right triangle can be located inside, outside, or on the triangle itself, depending on the shape and dimensions of the triangle.

Can the center of mass of a right triangle be outside the triangle?

Yes, the center of mass of a right triangle can be located outside of the triangle if the triangle is not symmetrical or if it has a non-uniform mass distribution.