Center of Mass: Plate with hole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
turandorf
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A uniform circular plate of radius 14 cm has a circular hole of radius 2 cm cut out of it. The center of the plate is at the origin of the coordinate system and the center of the hole is located along the x-axis a distance 4 cm from the origin. What is the position of the center of mass of the plate with the hole in it?

Homework Equations



Center of Mass (x)= (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution


This one has me confused. I know that the hole will move the center of mass, but I'm not sure how. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Finding the center of mass of two uniform disks would be easy (I hope you'll agree). How can you represent the plate with hole as two uniform disks? Hint: 1 - 1 = 0.