Center of mass with masses of unequal widths

In summary, the center of mass of the barbell, which has a total mass of 60 kg, is located at a distance of -5.62 cm from the midpoint of the bar, with the left weights positioned at 10 cm and the right weights positioned at 8 cm from their respective ends. This is calculated using the formula for center of mass, taking into account the width and mass of each group of weights, as well as the mass and length of the bar itself. The negative sign indicates that the center of mass is located to the left of the midpoint, as measured from the right end of the bar.
LBP

Homework Statement

A barbell is 1.5 m long. Three weights, each of mass 20 kg, are hung on the left, and two weights of the same mass are hung on the right. The width of each weight is 4 cm and the outside edge of each group of weights is placed 4 cm from the ends. Where is the center of mass of the barbell as measured from the mid-point, M, of the bar? The bar is of uniform mass and has mass 5 kg, and the retaining collars are of negligible mass. Take to the right as positive.

Homework Equations

Center of mass= (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the widths of the masses on each side are likely to play a role here. Knowing that the masses on the left total a width of 12 cm, the center of mass of just the weights would be 6 cm. Then since the problem states they are positioned 4 cm inward I added 4 cm +6 cm= 10 cm or .1M and used that as X1. Then on the right the width is 8 cm so the center is 4 cm moved over by 4 cm so the position is 8 cm left of the right most end. To find X2 I took 1.5 m - .08 M =1.42 M. Then I took the masses and the weights and put them in the formula

((.1m)(60kg)+(1.42)(40.kg))/(60kg+40kg)=.628 M

Then I subtracted 1.5m-.628m=.872
The half way point on the bar is .75 so the center of gravity would be .122 to the right of the half way point.
I realize this doesn't make sense because the center point should be closer to the heavier side. I'm just not sure what I did wrong.

Please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi LBP! Welcome to PF! :smile:
LBP said:
Then I subtracted 1.5m-.628m=.872

Why? :confused:

you were doing fine until then (except that you left out the weight of the bar :rolleyes:).

(oh, and since the question asks for the distance from the midpoint, I'd have measured everything from there from the start)

I was thinking subtracting from 1.5 would give me the position on the bar and from that figure out that position's distance from the center, no?

Where does the weight of the bar go? Do I add the weight to either position? or do I use its center of mass an weight as a M3X3?

LBP said:
I was thinking subtracting from 1.5 would give me the position on the bar and from that figure out that position's distance from the center, no?

Sorry, not followoing you. :confused:
… do I use its center of mass an weight as a M3X3?

yes! :smile:

(that's exactly what the centre of mass is defined for :wink:)

humm Okay so I reworked the problem. Knowing the left mass is .1M in from the left and the right mass is .08 M in from the right and the middle is .75M. Then X1= -.65 X2=0 and X3=.67

So I did ((-.65*60)+(0*5)+(.67*40))/(40*60+5)= -.116 but I know the answer is -5.62.

LBP said:
… I know the answer is -5.62.

How can it be 5.62? :confused:

The barbell is only 1.5 long! :biggrin:

Oh I am getting careless with units! -5.62 cm not meters sorry! The question is from a study guide for which we were given the answers.

Your solution looks right to me. :confused:

I was afraid of that haha. I appreciate your help anyhow. I have a better understanding of what's going on then when I started, so thank you!

1. What is the center of mass with masses of unequal widths?

The center of mass with masses of unequal widths is the point in an object where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the balance point or the center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for objects with masses of unequal widths?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses, where the distance from each mass to the center of mass is taken into account.

3. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important in physics because it helps us understand the stability and balance of an object. It also plays a crucial role in determining the motion of an object and predicting its behavior.

4. Can the center of mass be located outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be located outside of an object. This can occur when the object has an irregular shape or when the masses are distributed unevenly.

5. How does the center of mass change if the distribution of masses within an object changes?

If the distribution of masses within an object changes, the center of mass will also change accordingly. This means that the position of the center of mass is dependent on the distribution of masses within the object.