What is the minimum mass of the barbell without tipping?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luke0034
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Minimum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Luke0034
Messages
26
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Typical weight sets used for bodybuilding consist of disk-shaped weights with holes in the center that can slide onto 2.20 m long barbells. A barbell is supported by racks located a fifth of its length from each end, as shown in the figure. What is the minimum mass m of the barbell if a bodybuilder is to slide a weight with = 22.0 kg onto the end without the barbell tipping off the rack? Assume that the barbell is a uniform rod.

Homework Equations



sum of all torques = 0

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to make the the intersection of the barbell and the left rack the pivot point. Then I found the torque of the weight, the center of mass of the bar, and then the 2nd rack, but I came out with the wrong answer. I think I'm on the right track on how to do it, but I'm not sure where I'm messing up. Explanation would be helpful... studying for an upcoming test. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Make sure the problem statement is complete. What about the mass of the bar ?
2. show your calculation work in detail

Good luck !
 
BvU said:
1. Make sure the problem statement is complete. What about the mass of the bar ?
2. show your calculation work in detail

Good luck !

I'll try to find the page I did this on, but the mass of the bar is what I'm trying to find.
 
BvU said:
1. Make sure the problem statement is complete. What about the mass of the bar ?
2. show your calculation work in detail

Good luck !

Never mind, I got the answer myself haha.
 
Luke0034 said:
Never mind, I got the answer myself haha.
Can you provide the mass of the bar so others can work the problem if they come across this thread?