1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass of a solid hemisphere.

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1
    Hi there, I can't get my head round how to do the math for this problem. I'm sure it's not as hard as I think...
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the CoM of a uniform solid hemisphere of radius r lies at a distance (3/8)r from the centre of the flat face.
    You may find it convenient to regard the hemisphere as consisting of a very large number of extremely thin discs of varying radii stacked on top of each other.
    2. Relevant equations
    I'm thinking I'll need the equation for CoM, involving an integral: R=(1/M)[tex]\int[/tex]rdm. This I think can be modified to: R=(1/M)[tex]\int[/tex]r[tex]\rho[/tex]dV, where rho is the density at radius r.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    N/A

Thanks very much for any help!
    ~Graham :wink:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

So far, so good. To avoid confusion, I recommend you use a different variable of integration than r--let's say y. (Imagine the hemisphere axis to be along the y axis from y = 0 to y = r.) What's the volume of a thin disk located at position y?

4. Jan 3, 2009 #3
    Ok, since the discs are extremely thin, I'd approximate the volume of the disc to be its area. So: A(y) = Pi.(r(y))2.

5. Jan 3, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Graham! :smile:
    You're ignoring the hint …

if you use discs stacked on top of each other (with height z, say), you can go straight to integrating over dz, instead of dV. :wink:

6. Jan 3, 2009 #5

Doc Al

The disks are thin, but not zero thickness! :bugeye: Hint: dV = Area dy.

7. Jan 3, 2009 #6
    Ah I think I see...so if dV = Ady, then I can put that into my original eqn. for CoM? R = (1/M)[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex]ydV. Then R = (Pi.[tex]\rho[/tex]/M)[tex]\int[/tex]y3dy...I think :redface:

8. Jan 3, 2009 #7

Doc Al

You're on the right track, but not quite there yet. What's the radius of a disk at position y? (Draw yourself a diagram.)

9. Jan 3, 2009 #8
    yep! It worked! Thanks a lot guys, I'd have spent all afternoon trying to pick my way through :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?