1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass of this boomerang?

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an image with the question here: http://imgur.com/TGG9VTx.jpg
    The red text is the answer. I havent been able to get it without contradicting what Ive been told.

2. Relevant equations
    I know m1x1 + m2x / m1+m2 is centre of mass in 2d plane, but I dont know how that applies here. Also vectorR=vectorR1x1 +vectorR2m2 / m1 + m2 is for the 3d, but I dont know how to apply that as well. Im dumb

3. The attempt at a solution
    tried using (20i + 2j + .25k) (dividing all components by 2) then multiplying by 150 (mass of block) twice then dividing by 300. didnt get the answer.

Then tried 150(20)+150(20) / 300, got 20 as answer. Wont get 10 unless I make x = 10, which I dont why I would do that.

ANY help appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2
    Since a boomerang is symmetric, why not take advantage of that?
    Then, where is the center of mass of a stick with uniform cross section?
    That should be enough hints to find the answer. :wink:

4. Apr 3, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much for the help, but im afraid im not quite sure i understand? :sorry:

5. Apr 3, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That will give you the mass centre of one stick in a particular coordinate system. But that coordinate system is tailored to that stick. You should get a very different answer for the mass centre of the other stick in that same coordinate system. You are not going to get a sensible result by adding up vectors from different coordinate systems, one for each stick.
    Pick a coordinate system that makes sense for both sticks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted