Centre of mass of this boomerang?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
gamma-guy
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have an image with the question here: http://imgur.com/TGG9VTx.jpg
The red text is the answer. I haven't been able to get it without contradicting what I've been told.

Homework Equations


I know m1x1 + m2x / m1+m2 is centre of mass in 2d plane, but I don't know how that applies here. Also vectorR=vectorR1x1 +vectorR2m2 / m1 + m2 is for the 3d, but I don't know how to apply that as well. I am dumb

The Attempt at a Solution


tried using (20i + 2j + .25k) (dividing all components by 2) then multiplying by 150 (mass of block) twice then dividing by 300. didnt get the answer.

Then tried 150(20)+150(20) / 300, got 20 as answer. Wont get 10 unless I make x = 10, which I don't why I would do that.

ANY help appreciated. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since a boomerang is symmetric, why not take advantage of that?
Then, where is the center of mass of a stick with uniform cross section?
That should be enough hints to find the answer. :wink:
 
Tom.G said:
Since a boomerang is symmetric, why not take advantage of that?
Then, where is the center of mass of a stick with uniform cross section?
That should be enough hints to find the answer. :wink:
Thank you very much for the help, but I am afraid I am not quite sure i understand? :sorry:
 
gamma-guy said:
tried using (20i + 2j + .25k) (dividing all components by 2)
That will give you the mass centre of one stick in a particular coordinate system. But that coordinate system is tailored to that stick. You should get a very different answer for the mass centre of the other stick in that same coordinate system. You are not going to get a sensible result by adding up vectors from different coordinate systems, one for each stick.
Pick a coordinate system that makes sense for both sticks.