Centrifuge acceleration expressed in terms of gravity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
ND3G
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
A Biophysicist wants to separate sub-cellular particles with an analytic ultra-centrifuge. The biophysicist must determine the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration provided by the centrifuge at various speeds and radii.

Calculate the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration at 8.4 cm from the centre of the centrifuge when it is spinning at 6.0*10^4 rpm. Express your answer in terms of g (acceleration due to Earth's gravity).


Given:

r = 0.084m
f = 60000 / 60s

Required: ac

Analaysis:

ac = 4pie^2 * r * f^2

Solution:

ac = 4(3.14)^2 * 0.084m * (60000 / 60s)^2

= 3312825.6 m / s^2

Now I am a bit unclear as to how to express this in terms of g (Earth's gravity).

I could factor in 9.8 m / s^2 but that only changes the direction of the ac force by .001 m / s2

/F/ = /ac^2/ + /Fg^2/

I think I am approaching this from the wrong angle. Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation 1g = 9.8m/s^2 (g = accel due to gravity, not gram).

Multiply your answer by 1 ( = 1g/(9.8m/s^2) )...