Centrigugal force slingshot,the projectile is shot by the normal

In summary, the conversation discusses a unique way of shooting projectiles using a rotating tube to demonstrate centrifugal force. The participants also debate the difference between centrifugal and centripetal force and propose a potential design for a propellor using these concepts. They also discuss the trajectory of a stone or ball when shot from a rotating tube.
lerts
Im sure that as a kid you have taken a long tube put a projectile inside, spin the tube and get the stone shot

The odd thing with this is the projectile doesn't get shot by the tangent like a slingshot but keeps centrifugal force direction

In my opinion this is an example of centrifugal force without centripetal one, this proves that centrifugal force is an actual force like the example proposed

It comes to my mind for a propellor two very long counterotative tubes in which projectiles are shot starting at 3 and 9 oclock and once they go away during 180º get pulled to the initial position during the next 180º

On this way centrifugal force would be pulling less during the going away of the projectiles during 180º and pulling more during the other 180º in which the projectiles are pulled to the initial position

I hoped to have been clear not being native english speaker and hope to see interesing opinions in this odd tube slingshot in which the projectile doesn't get shot by the tanget as usual

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lerts said:
The odd thing with this is the projectile doesn't get shot by the tangent like a slingshot but keeps centrifugal force direction
What makes you sure of this?

I just tested it several times

lerts said:
I just tested it several times

How did you "just tested it several times"?

Zz.

The path of a stone as it travels through a rotating tube is a spiral, so the stone has an sideways and outwards component of velocity as it's exits the tube, relative to the person's view that is holding the tube. However the stone's path is a straight path (ignoring gravity) once it leaves the tube, unless spin imparted by the tube causes the stone (or more likely a ball) to curve.

What is a centrigugal force slingshot?

A centrifugal force slingshot is a device that uses the centrigugal force created by rotating the slingshot's arm to propel a projectile forward.

How does a centrigugal force slingshot work?

As the slingshot's arm is rotated, centrigugal force is generated, pulling the projectile outward. When the arm is released, the projectile is propelled forward due to the force and speed generated by the rotation.

What is the projectile in a centrigugal force slingshot?

The projectile in a centrigugal force slingshot can be any small object such as a stone, seed, or small ball.

How is the projectile shot by the normal in a centrigugal force slingshot?

The normal force in this context refers to the force exerted by the arm of the slingshot on the projectile. As the arm is released, the normal force pushes the projectile forward, propelling it out of the slingshot.

What are the applications of a centrigugal force slingshot?

Centrifugal force slingshots have various applications such as in recreational activities, hunting, and military operations. They are also used in scientific experiments to study projectile motion and forces.