Centripetal Acceleration and string tension Question

In summary: The tensions are equal in magnitude, but they act in different directions, so their sum is the weight of the sphere.
BlueCardBird

Homework Statement

A 6.0kg object is attached to two 5.0m-long strings and swung around in a circle at 12 m/s. Determine the tension in the two strings, and explain why the tensions are not the same.

Given:
m=6.0kg
v=12m/s
length of string= 5.0m

Homework Equations

ƩF=m.a
ac=v^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

There was a diagram that goes with the question but i couldn't simply draw it. Basically its a 8.0m pole with two 5.0 m strings attached to a 6.0kg ball. the strings and the pole form a isosceles triangle. I used the 3,4,5 triangle rule to find the radius which is 3, then ac=v^2/R to find the acceleration which came out to be 48m/s^2. After, used sin law to find angle between ball and radius. When i wrote my ƩF statement one came out to be ƩFy=Tasin37°-Tbsin37°-Fg other statement is ƩFx=Tacos37°+Tbcos37°. Is it possible to substitute these two equations eventhough they're acting in different directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Diagram.gif

The radius found in the OP is right (3 m). The centripetal acceleration is also correct (48 m / s2). The OP uses symbols like Ta, Tb etc. and takes sin law, without giving a diagram, so I'll not comment on that part. I really do not understand, what he/she means by

"Is it possible to substitute these two equations eventhough they're acting in different directions?"Anyway, I'll use a Cartesian coordinate system rather than the sin law used in the OP.
The diagram is shown above.

We take the horizontal and vertical components of the two tensions T1 and T2 (see Fig. 2).
We first calculate sin(θ) and cos(θ) [Fig. 1]:
sin(θ) = 3 / 5 and cos(θ) = 4 / 5.

For the vertical components, because there is no motion on the vertical direction, we'll have:
T₁cos(θ) = T₂cos(θ) + mg, so: T1 - T2 = mg / cos(θ) = 6.0 x 9.8 / 0.8 ## kg \frac{m}{s^{2}}## = 73.5 N.

For the horizontal components of tension, we see that their sum is the centripetal force for the circular motion of the sphere.
So, T1 sin(θ) + T2 sin(θ) = m v2 / R , so, T1 + T2 = m v2 / R sin(θ) = 6.0 x 122 / 3 x 0.6 kgr (m/s)2 / m = 480 N.

Now, having T1 - T2 and T1 + T2 we solve the simple system of equations:
T1 - T2 = 73.5 N
T1 + T2 = 480 N

We get T1 = 276.75 N and T2 = 203.25 N.

We see that the tensions are not equal. This is explained, if we take into account the equilibrium on vertical axis (i.e. the weight of the sphere).

Last edited:

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object towards the center of a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the equation a = v²/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How does centripetal acceleration relate to string tension?

Centripetal acceleration and string tension are directly related. In order for an object to move in a circular path, there must be a force acting towards the center of the circle. This force is provided by the tension in the string, which acts as the centripetal force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal acceleration?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration is affected by the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. As the speed or radius increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases. However, as the mass of the object increases, the centripetal acceleration decreases.

4. How does centripetal acceleration differ from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration refers to the acceleration towards the center of a circular path, while tangential acceleration refers to the acceleration in the direction tangent to the circular path. While centripetal acceleration is always present in circular motion, tangential acceleration may or may not be present depending on the motion of the object.

5. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration cannot be negative. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is therefore always positive. However, the direction of the velocity of the object can change, resulting in a negative tangential acceleration, but the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration will remain positive.