1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal acceleration geometry

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    This is probably a geometry question more that a physics question. I am trying to prove that in uniform circular motion [tex]\Delta[/tex] V[tex]/[/tex]V= s[tex]/[/tex]R.

I am basically trying to show that S forms a right triangle with [tex]\Delta[/tex]V, when [tex]V{1}[/tex] is added to [tex]V{2}[/tex] as a vector. (This is to demonstrate that the triangles are similar.)

I understand that the angle formed by S and [tex]\Delta[/tex]V is a right angle because it obviously inscribes the diameter. I just cannot seem to find a satisfactory proof that [tex]\Delta[/tex]V must necessarily intersect the circle at the diameter.

Probably not explaining this very well.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2
    If you are solving geometry problems with both distances and velocities involved, then you
    are probably making a mistake: remember that they have different units! (unless you study relativistic theory)
    For the mentioned problem you should use formulas:
    s=R*fi (fi is angle of the part of orbit traveled in radians)
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]V=V*sin(fi') (fi' is the angle between the old and new velocity vector)

Prove that fi=fi' and use sin(fi)=fi (for small angles) and you will get [tex]\Delta[/tex] V[tex]/[/tex]V= s[tex]/[/tex]R

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    Thank you so much for responding. I think though my question which started with uniform motion and delta V, is now simply a geometry question.

I will try to put up a drawing of what I so pitifully tried to explain.

uniformcircularmotion.png

Here is another image with a different angle and size of the tangents. uniformcircularmotion2.png

I have tried several approaches, but I cannot prove that the angle formed from tangent 1 to tangent 2 to the circle must inscribe a 180 degree arc and must be a right angle.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inscribed_angle_theorem
    So, to get an inscribed angle of 90° you need a central angle of 180°(=diameter line).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook