Centripetal acceleration/ motion question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final velocity of an object as it exits a half circle ramp. The formula v2=v20+2aΔx is suggested, but the possibility of using a conservation equation is also mentioned. The conservation of energy equation, which includes terms such as 1/2 mv2 and mgh, is recommended for use in this situation.
chudzoik
I am trying to calculate the speed of an object at the point that it flys off the half circle ramp, and I was wondering if it would be correct to use the formula v2=v20+2aΔx to calculate the final velocity of the object as it exits the half circle thing.

Attachments

• gasdg.jpg
    gasdg.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi chudzoi! welcome to pf! :smile:

(what does centripetal acceleration have to do with this? :confused:)
chudzoik said:
… I was wondering if it would be correct to use the formula v2=v20+2aΔx to calculate the final velocity of the object as it exits the half circle thing.

that's a linear acceleration formula, isn't it?

hint: always check first whether you can use a conservation equation :wink:

I honestly have no idea what your hint means :tongue:
Can you explain further about what formula I'm supposed to use?

do you know any equations called "conservation of (something)"? :smile:

(i may have gone to bed by the time you answer :zzz:)

Well I know conservation of momentum, but I don't know how it would apply to my question.

aha!

you'll need to look up conservation of energy :smile:

Is that the formula with 1/2 mv2 and mgh in it? I looked it up and it came up with stuff like Δ(U+K) = 0 and U + K = E which don't look familiar to me at all. I'm in Grade 12 right now, so should I have learned it?

yeah that's what you'll be wanting to use for this problem, it's the same idea as conservation of momentum: initial = final

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path. It is caused by a force called centripetal force.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using a = ω^2r, where ω is the angular velocity of the object.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path towards the center, while centrifugal acceleration is the perceived outward acceleration due to the object's inertia. Centrifugal acceleration does not actually exist, it is just a result of the object's tendency to maintain its straight-line motion.

How does centripetal acceleration affect the speed of an object?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the speed of an object. This means that as the speed of the object increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases. This is because a higher speed requires a larger centripetal force to keep the object moving in a circular path.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

There are many real-life examples of centripetal acceleration, such as the motion of a car around a curved road, the rotation of a merry-go-round, the swinging of a pendulum, and the orbit of planets around the sun. Roller coasters, bicycles, and ice skaters also experience centripetal acceleration in their movements.