1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal acceleration of a vehicle on banked circular arc

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A van is moving on a horizontal circular bend in the road of radius 75m. The bend is banked at arctan(1/3) to the horizontal. The maximum speed at which the van can be driven around the bend without slipping is 25m/s. Calculate the coefficient of friction between the road surface and the tyres of the van.

2. Relevant equations
    centripetal force = mv2/r
    Friction ≤ μR

3. The attempt at a solution
    See attached diagram. At the maximum speed F=μR. Resolving perpendicular to the plane gives:

R = mgcosθ
    ∴ F = μmgcosθ

Resolving in a direction perpendicular to the weight gives:

Rsinθ + Fcosθ = mv2/r
    mgsinθcosθ + μmgcos2θ = mv2/r

Solving for μ gives:

μ = [(v2/r)-gsinθcosθ]/[gcos2θ]

And substituting the values gives μ=0.61. This is apparantly incorrect (the answer should be μ=0.40). I cannot see what I have done wrong.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That would be true if there were no net acceleration perpendicular to the surface. But you know there is a net centripetal acceleration, and that is not parallel to the surface, therefore it has a component perpendicular to the surface.
    Try resolving vertically instead.

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3
    Ah, yes that makes sense. I got 0.40 now.

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook