1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal acceleration of ball and rope

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An athlete swings a 5 kg ball horizontally on the end of a rope. the ball moves in a circle of a radius .800m at an angular speed of .500rev/second. if the maximum tension the rope can withstand before breaking is 100N, what is the maximum tangential speed the ball can have?

2. Relevant equations

I think you have to use net forces in the 'y' direction, as well as omega_final^2=omega_intial^2+2alpha(delta theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

i've drawn a free body diagram of the 5kg mass at the bottom of a circle (so that the centripital acceleration is going directly upwards). i know i have to solve for alpha. can i do that by solving for the acceleration through the net forces in the y direction with the free body diagram?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The centredal force acts outward (in the x direction if you like) the weight acts downward (in -y). The tension in the rope is just the force triangle of these two.
  4. Jul 30, 2007 #3
    i thought that at the bottom of the circle, the centripetal acceleration would be going upwards?
  5. Jul 31, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assumed horizontal to mean the circle was horizontal, like swinging a hammer throw around your head?

But in any case the centripedal accel always acts outwards away form the axis.
  6. Jul 31, 2007 #5
    oh okay...i think that might help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?