Centripetal Force Ball Swing Question

In summary: If you went a full revolution, then the linear speed would be 8.16 rev/s. So if you wanted to find the circular acceleration, you would need to find the linear speed and the radius (which is 0.900 m).
tcc88

Homework Statement

An athlete swings a ball, connected to the end of a chain, in a horizontal circle. The athlete is able to rotate the ball at the rate of 8.16 rev/s when the length of the chain is 0.600 m. When he increases the length to 0.900 m, he is able to rotate the ball only 6.32 rev/s.

(a) Which rate of rotation gives the greater speed for the ball? [Which I got is 6.32]
(b) What is the centripetal acceleration of the ball at 8.16 rev/s? [?]
(c) What is the centripetal acceleration at 6.32 rev/s? [?]

Homework Equations

a[c] = v^2/r
T = 2∏r/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the I need to find the velocity to solve this question, but that is where I am having trouble. I am assuming 8.16 and 6.32 are the periods. So I get:
v = 2∏(0.300)/(8.16) for B; and then use this to find acceleration which is: a[c] = (0.23)^2/(0.300) = 1.176. But this is not the correct answer! Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
tcc88 said:

Homework Statement

An athlete swings a ball, connected to the end of a chain, in a horizontal circle. The athlete is able to rotate the ball at the rate of 8.16 rev/s when the length of the chain is 0.600 m. When he increases the length to 0.900 m, he is able to rotate the ball only 6.32 rev/s.

(a) Which rate of rotation gives the greater speed for the ball? [Which I got is 6.32]
(b) What is the centripetal acceleration of the ball at 8.16 rev/s? [?]
(c) What is the centripetal acceleration at 6.32 rev/s? [?]

Homework Equations

a[c] = v^2/r
T = 2∏r/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the I need to find the velocity to solve this question, but that is where I am having trouble. I am assuming 8.16 and 6.32 are the periods. So I get:
v = 2∏(0.300)/(8.16) for B; and then use this to find acceleration which is: a[c] = (0.23)^2/(0.300) = 1.176. But this is not the correct answer! Why?

I think your answers for both part a and part b are wrong, and here's why:

The "rev/s: in 6.32 rev/s and 8.16 rev/s stands for "revolutions PER second." So it is most emphatically NOT a period. It tells you how many revolutions occur in one second. So, you might say, it tells you how often a revolution occurs. In fact, if you were inclined to phrase it differently, you might say that this number tells you how frequently a revolution occurs.

:wink: :wink: nudge nudge

cepheid said:
I think your answers for both part a and part b are wrong, and here's why:

The "rev/s: in 6.32 rev/s and 8.16 rev/s stands for "revolutions PER second." So it is most emphatically NOT a period. It tells you how many revolutions occur in one second. So, you might say, it tells you how often a revolution occurs. In fact, if you were inclined to phrase it differently, you might say that this number tells you how frequently a revolution occurs.

:wink: :wink: nudge nudge

So would the frequency be 1/8.16 [Which I am leaning somewhat more towards] or just 1 [Which if it is, can you tell me why]? And if not either, please just tell me the answer... :(

I am using 1/6.32 and 1/8.16 and I am still getting the wrong answer?? o_O WTH is going on?!?

tcc88 said:
I am using 1/6.32 and 1/8.16 and I am still getting the wrong answer?? o_O WTH is going on?!?

The thing I was trying to hint at very strongly was that the 6.32 and 8.16 ARE the angular frequencies. I even said that they tell you how OFTEN or FREQUENTLY a revolution occurs.

The angular frequency is also the angular speed in this case. Do you know how to find the linear speed given the angular speed?

cepheid said:
The thing I was trying to hint at very strongly was that the 6.32 and 8.16 ARE the angular frequencies. I even said that they tell you how OFTEN or FREQUENTLY a revolution occurs.

The angular frequency is also the angular speed in this case. Do you know how to find the linear speed given the angular speed?

Would the Linear speed be rps[angular speed or frequency] * pi * d? Also will I need both to find the circular acceleration or just one? I legit don't remember my professor teaching this, but I am willing to learn it if it means getting my h.w in on time! :/

No, the linear speed is the angular speed multiplied by r (the radius). The reason for this comes from the definition of an angle (in radians). The angle is the arc length you travel around the circle divided by the radius. Linear speed would be arc length/time, and if you divided this by the radius you'd get angle/time, which is angular speed. Make sense?

If you went a full revolution, the distance (arc length) would be 2*pi*r (a full circumference) and so the angle would be this divided by r, which would be 2pi radians.

You have to be careful to convert the angular speed from rev/sec to radians/sec before working with these formulas. As I said above, one revolution is 2*pi radians.

Just to follow up on what Cephid has said, it is easier and less confusing to use ac2r rather than converting to tangential speed. ω=2πf where f is the frequency of rotation = 1/period of rotation (f=1/T).

AM

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path towards the center of the circle. It keeps the object from flying off the circular path and maintains its circular motion.

What is the Centripetal Force Ball Swing Question?

The Centripetal Force Ball Swing Question is a physics problem that involves calculating the centripetal force acting on a ball as it swings in a circular motion. It is commonly used in physics courses to demonstrate the concept of centripetal force.

How do you calculate centripetal force?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the force that keeps a car on a curved road, the force that keeps a satellite in orbit around the Earth, and the force that keeps water in a bucket when it is swung in a circular motion.

How does centripetal force relate to centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are often confused, but they are not the same thing. Centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path, while centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. Centripetal force is necessary to counteract centrifugal force and maintain circular motion.