1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal force of a block on a string

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1
    I am really in a jam, I have no idea if I solved this correctly or not, it is due Monday morning 8:00am /eastern time.

Here is the question:
    A block is hung by a string from the inside roof of a van. When the van goes straight ahead at a speed of 28m/s, the block hangs vertically down. But when the van maintains the same speed around an unbanked curve (radius=150m), the block swings toward the outside of the curve. Then the string makes an theta with the vertical. Find theta.

This is what I got, I don't know if I am doing it correctly or not.

The sum of Fy=0
    ncos theta=mg
    theta=tan^-1 (28m/s)^2/(150m)*(9.80m/s)= theta=28 degrees

Please help if you can, you can e-mail me if you like at jc_ro2003@yahoo.com
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2
    Your calculations are correct.
  4. Dec 9, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

I don't know how you derived it, but your expression,

[tex]\tan\theta = \frac{v^2}{rg}[/tex]

is correct, and so is the 28 degrees.
  5. Dec 10, 2005 #4
    The Centripetal force on the van is the 'force' that is causing the ball to swing outwards. By solving the centripetal force of the van, u will be able to get the magnitude of the 'force' that is acting on the ball. By combining with the vertical unchanging force on the ball, gravity (9.81m/s^2), and using tan, u shld be able to the solve.. But i guess u noe that.. Haha:)
  6. Dec 11, 2005 #5

thank you guys for all your help, I am a new member to this site and you guys have been great.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?