Centripital Force and Springs Combined

In summary, a ball of mass 1.50kg is hung from a spring attached to a shaft. The length of the spring with the mass hanging from it is Lo = 50.0cm. The shaft then starts to rotate such that the spring stretches to a length L = 65.0cm. The spring constant of the spring is k=1450N/m. At what angle theta does the rotating spring make with the vertical? How fast is the ball moving? How much work had to be done on the shaft to get the ball moving at the angle and speed given in parts a and b.
Jennings
image.jpg

1. Homework Statement
(Attached is an image depicting the situation)

A ball of mass m = 1.50kg is hung from a spring attached to a shaft. The length of the spring with the mass hanging from it is Lo = 50.0cm. The shaft then starts to rotate such that the spring stretches to a length L = 65.0cm. The spring constant of the spring is k=1450N/m.

A) At what angle theta does the rotating spring make with the vertical
B) How fast is the ball moving
C) How much work had to be done on the shaft to get the ball moving at the angle and speed given in parts a and b

Homework Equations

Springs : Fs = -kx
Centripital Force : Fc = mv²/r

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was solve for the length of the spring at equilibrium (assuming the spring is massless). First I solve for the change in distance due to the mass attached.

mg = kx
mg/k = x = (1.50kg)(9.81m/s²)/(1450N/m)
x = 1.015cm

Length at Equilibrium
50.0cm - 1.105cm = 48.99cm

Now that I know the equilibrium length I will find the total force being applied to the spring since the length is known.

Change in length from equilibrium

65.0cm - 48.99cm = 16.01cm = .1601m

The total force acting on this spring is

F = kx = (1450N/m)(.1601m) = 232.1N

I don't even know if I'm on the right track with this. I have a free body diagram that I will post, but again I have no idea if I'm on the right track.

If I've made any mistakes please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to attach the file of my free body diagram

So far you are on the right track.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
So far you are on the right track.

Chet
Hello Chestermiller. In order to solve for angle theta Atleast one more component of the force must be known. Weight is straight down and I'm guessing the centripital force must make up rest of the net force. Isn't centripetal force is purely horizontal?

Jennings said:
Hello Chestermiller. In order to solve for angle theta Atleast one more component of the force must be known. Weight is straight down and I'm guessing the centripital force must make up rest of the net force. Isn't centripetal force is purely horizontal?
Please write out your force balances on the mass in the x and y directions.

Chet

image.jpg

Here is my attempt at solving for the centripetal force. I don't think its correct but it's all I know how to do

How come your force balance equations don't have the components of the spring force acting on the mass in the horizontal and vertical directions?

Chet

Likes Jennings
Chestermiller said:
How come your force balance equations don't have the components of the spring force acting on the mass in the horizontal and vertical directions?

Chet

I thought that the spring force is the net force? That's how I was able to find the net force. Please clarify

It would be wise to see Fc as a resultant force, i.e. the net force. It is the sum of the two forces that work on the mass: one from gravity, the other from the spring.
The resultant force is what makes the mass follow a circular trajectory.
You calculate its magnitude (you need that for B.), but in A) the exercise asks for an angle...

Jennings said:
I thought that the spring force is the net force? That's how I was able to find the net force. Please clarify
The spring force is not the net force. The net force is the vector sum of the spring force and the weight. Now please, write out the force balances in the horizontal and vertical directions in terms of the horizontal and vertical components of the spring force, and the weight of the mass.

Chet

Last edited:
BvU said:
It would be wise to see Fc as a resultant force, i.e. the net force. It is the sum of the two forces that work on the mass: one from gravity, the other from the spring.
The resultant force is what makes the mass follow a circular trajectory.
You calculate its magnitude (you need that for B.), but in A) the exercise asks for an angle...

Sounds good. Only there's one problem. I don't know the direction of the spring force, only its magnitude.

What I know :
Magnitude and direction of the weight
Magnitude of the spring force
Don't know:
Direction of spring force
Magnitude and direction of resultant centripital force.

What can we do?
Is there a trick?

Jennings said:
Sounds good. Only there's one problem. I don't know the direction of the spring force, only its magnitude.

What I know :
Magnitude and direction of the weight
Magnitude of the spring force
Don't know:
Direction of spring force
Magnitude and direction of resultant centripital force.

What can we do?
Is there a trick?
Wait hold on I think I got something

No, there's no trick. You express the components of the spring force in terms of sine and cosine of theta. Then you write the force balances. Then you solve for theta.

Chet

Chet[/QUOTE]
Chestermiller said:
No, there's no trick. You express the components of the spring force in terms of sine and cosine of theta. Then you write the force balances. Then you solve for theta.

Chet

Something else needs to be known.
The sum of forces in the y direction must be 0 so that we can have an equation.

(Fs means force of spring)
ΣFy = Fscosθ - mg
ΣFx =Fssinθ

If the sum of forces in the y direction = 0 then we have our equation. Otherwise i don't kneo

The sum of forces in the y direction must be 0 so that we can have an equation.
(Fs means force of spring)
ΣFy = Fscosθ - mg
ΣFx =Fssinθ

If the sum of forces in the y direction = 0 then we have our equation. Otherwise i don't kneo
Well, then you have your equation for the y direction. That gives you theta.

What is your force balance equation for the x direction?

Chet

image.jpg

image.jpg

First attachment is solving for the angle which I found to be 86.4 degrees. (It really doesn't look that way in the picture I hope I didn't do it wrong). Second attachment is the sum of forces in direction x which is also the magnitude of the centripital force

Looks good. Now on to b) and c) ?

Related to Centripital Force and Springs Combined

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that is directed towards the center of a circular path. It keeps an object moving in a circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force related to springs?

Centripetal force can be created by springs when they are stretched or compressed and provide a restoring force that keeps an object moving in a circular path.

3. Can centripetal force and springs be combined in real-life situations?

Yes, centripetal force and springs are often used together in real-life situations, such as in amusement park rides, car suspensions, and mechanical devices.

4. How does the strength of a spring affect the centripetal force?

The stronger the spring, the greater the centripetal force it can provide. This means that the object moving in a circular path will experience a stronger force towards the center, allowing it to maintain its circular motion more easily.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the centripetal force of a spring?

Yes, factors such as the mass and speed of the object, as well as the length and tension of the spring, can also impact the strength of the centripetal force created by the spring.