1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cesaro summability implies bounded partial sums

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [itex] c_{n} > 0[/itex] for each [itex] n\geq 0.[/itex] Prove that if [itex]\sum ^{\infty}_{n=0} c_{n}[/itex] is Cesaro summable, then the partial sums [itex] S_{N} [/itex] are bounded.

2. Relevant equations

--

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried contraposition; that was getting me nowhere. I have a few inequalities here and there but they don't tell me anything. I need to show that there exists an upperbound for the partial sums. This means there exists a least upperbound. I need to find that least upperbound. Because[itex] c_{n} > 0[/itex] for each [itex] n\geq 0,[/itex] then the series is nondecreasing, which means the partial sums are nondecreasing, so we are looking for an upperbound, not a lowerbound.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

That least upper bound, if it exists, is [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} S_n[/itex], which is the definition of [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n[/itex] in the traditional sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook