Chain Hangs Over a Pulley and Starts Moving

In summary: I've got my answer. In my answer the constant is 2, What's yours?In summary, Homework statement asks if we can find the height of a table when a chain is hanging from a pulley and part of the chain is resting on the table and another part is resting on the floor. The chain moves at a constant speed and the height of the table is unknown.
Gundyam
Homework Statement
A chain hangs over a pulley. Part of it rests on a table, and another part rests on the floor. When released, the chain begins to move and soon reaches a certain constant speed v. Can we find the height h of the table?

I think this question need some tricks. I've tried some general ways to do it but it can't.
Relevant Equations
v, g is known
h = ?
Homework Statement:
A chain hangs over a pulley. Part of it rests on a table, and another part rests on the floor. When released, the chain begins to move and soon reaches a certain constant speed v. Can we find the height h of the table?

I think this question need some tricks. I've tried some general ways to do it but it can't.
Homework Equations:
v, g is known
h = ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 06.58.47.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 06.58.47.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Gundyam, :welcome: !

Gundyam said:
Homework Equations: v, h = ?
Can we find the height h of the table?
Not without equations. So you have to find a few more ...
What is needed for a constant velocity ?

Please read the guidelines. We can't help without a posted attempt from your side ...

BvU said:
Hello Gundyam, :welcome: !Not without equations. So you have to find a few more ...
What is needed for a constant velocity ?

Please read the guidelines. We can't help without a posted attempt from your side ...

What equations? There's only v is known in this problem. I think we can also use some constants like g

Gundyam said:
What equations? There's only v is known in this problem. I think we can also use some constants like g
Think about the tension just above the table. Call it T.
Consider a period dt and the consequence of the tension. What momentum equation can you write?

Gundyam said:
You could consider tracking either energy or momentum. Look at where energy is injected into the system and where it is drained out. Or do the same for momentum.

jbriggs444 said:
You could consider tracking either energy
Only after satisfying oneself mechanical energy is conserved during pick up, but it won't be.

Likes jbriggs444
haruspex said:
Only after satisfying oneself mechanical energy is conserved during pick up, but it won't be.
But in steady state it will be constant.

hutchphd said:
But in steady state it will be constant.
You miss the point. Work is being done by the net descent of the chain. Where is that work going? Is it all going into acceleration of chain from the table?

In steady state the power into the moving chain segment is zero. That was my point and one way to solution.

haruspex said:
It does not need to be as long as one can quantify the rate at which it is gained or lost at the pick-up interface. However, I think I take your point. It is not a simple plus or minus on a balance sheet. The energy lost by the chain in accelerating the next link will not match the energy gained by the link (*). Momentum is simpler in that respect.

(*) Intuition suggests an efficiency of exactly 50%.

jbriggs444 said:
It does not need to be as long as one can quantify the rate at which it is gained or lost at the pick-up interface.
True, but isn't the calculation sequence backwards? Use momentum to find the work done on the chain, then find how much is lost.

hutchphd said:
In steady state the power into the moving chain segment is zero. That was my point and one way to solution.
It will not give the solution since work is not conserved during the pick up.

Sorry but I don't know what "work is conserved" means. The power input by gravity is equal to the rate change in KE of the newly accelerated picked-up chain.

I get the same result using either power or force. Force is perhaps easier. ...

hutchphd said:
Sorry but I don't know what "work is conserved" means. The power input by gravity is equal to the rate change in KE of the newly accelerated picked-up chain.
As @haruspex points out, it is not. Energy is lost to the inelastic collision of the chain with each new link that it picks up.

[In practice, there are complexities with the force analysis as well. Torque and angular momentum considerations can lead to a "push-off" from the table. That effect is Googleable]

Last edited:
Likes haruspex
jbriggs444 said:
As @haruspex points out, it is not. Energy is lost to the inelastic collision of the chain with each new link that it picks up.

[In practice, there are complexities with the force analysis as well. Torque and angular momentum considerations can lead to a "push-off" from the table. That effect is Googleable]
I am constrained to not supply the result. We shall put it in abeyance

hutchphd said:
I am constrained to not supply the result. We shall put it in abeyance
I've worked it both ways. There is an extra factor of two in one of the results that I obtained.

I've got my answer. In my answer the constant is 2, What's yours?

You need to be careful about the potential energy of the chain from floor to table. The center of mass is only h/2 higher than its final resting place...does that do it?

Actually I've got some different constants. Can you tell me the exact constant for the final answer?

You tell me your answer first...

hutchphd said:
You need to be careful about the potential energy of the chain from floor to table. The center of mass is only h/2 higher than its final resting place...does that do it?
Oh, that's where you have your factor of two error.

Gundyam said:
I've got my answer. In my answer the constant is 2, What's yours?

I've told it

Gundyam said:
I've told it
OK.. Either energy or force gives me v2 =gh. I've lost track of the consensus.

hutchphd said:
OK.. Either energy or force gives me v2 =gh. I've lost track of the consensus.
Right. Because the energy balance is likely incorrect. The position of the center of gravity of the falling chain is irrelevant.

Last edited:
But if I use Newton's Law n I get, in steady state,

ρhg= (ρv)*v​

where ρ is the linear mass density of the rope.. So where is this factor of two?...you've got me mystified.

hutchphd said:
But if I use Newton's Law n I get, in steady state,

ρhg= (ρv)*v​

where ρ is the linear mass density of the rope.. So where is this factor of two?...you've got me mystified.
That analysis is correct. It is the energy analysis which accidentally gets the right answer because the two factor of two mistakes cancel out.

jbriggs444 said:
It is the energy analysis which accidentally gets the right answer because the two factor of two mistakes cancel out.
Since you haven't seen my analysis, this statement seems a trifle presumptuous.
You may be correct but please tell what are the two offsetting mistakes I made? Am I missing something here?

hutchphd said:
Since you haven't seen my analysis, this statement seems a trifle presumptuous.
You may be correct but please tell what are the two offsetting mistakes I made? Am I missing something here?
You mentioned the center of gravity of the section of the chain between table and floor. You claim to have ignored the energy lost to the inelastic collision between chain and the new links.

jbriggs444 said:
You mentioned the center of gravity of the section of the chain between table and floor. You claim to have ignored the energy lost to the inelastic collision between chain and the new links.
I never "claimed" anything of the sort. What are you talking about??
And what are the "two offsetting mistakes" I made?
  1. ?
  2. ?

hutchphd said:
I never "claimed" anything of the sort. What are you talking about??
And what are the "two offsetting mistakes" I made?
  1. ?
  2. ?
In post #26 you appear to have used, directly or indirectly, conservation of momentum and got the right result.
In post #19 you used conservation of energy and should have got the wrong result, but you erroneously took the overall descent of each link of the chain to be h/2 instead of h. That exactly canceled the error resulting from assuming energy to be conserved (because exactly half is lost).

Likes jbriggs444 and BvU
jbriggs444 said:

Fwiw, I have never believed the kick-off-the-ground explanation for the chain fountain. It would explain a reduced loss of energy in the pick-up, but that should only make the whole movement faster. It reduces the tension needed to accelerate the added links.

To explain the mid-air arc we need an increased tension in the top of the ascent. This is where the moment of inertia of the links could do the trick. As each link rounds the bend it tends to lift the ascending side.

haruspex said:
In post #26 you appear to have used, directly or indirectly, conservation of momentum and got the right result.
In post #19 you used conservation of energy and should have got the wrong result, but you erroneously took the overall descent of each link of the chain to be h/2 instead of h. That exactly canceled the error resulting from assuming energy to be conserved (because exactly half is lost).
I must plead guilty to vigorous (and unseemly) hand-waving. Thanks for calling me out.
This is a much more interesting and perplexing (to me) problem than I initially understood
Is the result for a continuous (presumably pliable but massive) rope salient? The requirement of "links" seems odd.

Likes BvU
hutchphd said:
I must plead guilty to vigorous (and unseemly) hand-waving. Thanks for calling me out.
This is a much more interesting and perplexing (to me) problem than I initially understood
Is the result for a continuous (presumably pliable but massive) rope salient? The requirement of "links" seems odd.
Yes, it should apply to a rope as well. I have seen it posed using string.

It's a tricky problem because the posing of it treats the chain/rope as infinitely thin and starting in a pile of zero size, whereas in each real scenario one has to think what is going on at the detailed level.
For a rope the length is constant, so, no matter how thin, it must start as a stack of horizontal sections. When lifted, these will acquire some horizontal velocity, and this will not contribute to overcoming gravity. If no KE were lost it would mean the rope acquires a transverse vibration. This may seem like a detail that could be somehow avoided by a different model, but every model I can think of - rope, chain, telescope - has a way of getting rid of KE.
The chain model, as in the chain fountain, salvages some of the KE by means of rotational inertia, as discussed in the chain fountain link.

Likes hutchphd

1. How does a chain hanging over a pulley start moving?

When a chain hangs over a pulley, it experiences a force due to gravity. This force causes the chain to accelerate downwards, which in turn creates tension in the chain. This tension pulls the chain over the pulley, causing it to start moving.

2. What factors affect the motion of a chain hanging over a pulley?

The motion of a chain hanging over a pulley is affected by several factors, including the weight of the chain, the angle of the pulley, the friction between the chain and the pulley, and the presence of any external forces.

3. Can a chain hanging over a pulley move in both directions?

Yes, a chain hanging over a pulley can move in both directions. The direction of the motion depends on the direction of the applied force and the direction of the pulley's rotation. If the force and rotation are in the same direction, the chain will move in one direction. If they are in opposite directions, the chain will move in the other direction.

4. What is the principle behind a chain hanging over a pulley?

The principle behind a chain hanging over a pulley is the conservation of energy. As the chain falls, it converts its potential energy into kinetic energy, causing it to move. This conversion continues as the chain moves over the pulley, with the tension in the chain providing the necessary force to keep it moving.

5. How can the motion of a chain hanging over a pulley be calculated?

The motion of a chain hanging over a pulley can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of work and energy. By considering the forces acting on the chain and the work done by these forces, it is possible to determine the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of the chain over time.