Chain Rule and Partial Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a link to a math question and a solution attempt. The individual is confused about how to take the derivative of f with respect to x since fx and fy seem to be different. However, it is clarified that f is a function of one variable and therefore there is only one way to differentiate it, with the derivative being f'.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/MATH%20253/help.PNG

The Attempt at a Solution

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-05-24%209%2037%2028%20PM.jpg

This seems to be wrong... Since I have fx and fy which I cannot cancel out. Why is this wrong?

I guess it can only cancel is fx = fy but how do I prove that? We don't even know what f is.

Attachments

• help.PNG
    help.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 444
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're more likely to get help if you don't make people open different windows to see the problem and what you did. Speaking for myself only, if you aren't motivated enough to at least try to make it easier for me to help, then I'm likewise not motivated enough to provide any help.

Mark44 said:
You're more likely to get help if you don't make people open different windows to see the problem and what you did. Speaking for myself only, if you aren't motivated enough to at least try to make it easier for me to help, then I'm likewise not motivated enough to provide any help.

Oh I'm sorry I just thought it would be easier for the people who are not logged onto their physicsforum account. That way they can see it too. I will upload them to the site as well then...

Edit: I tried to upload the other picture but apparently it was too large. Anyone know how to decrease the image size? I don't have photoshop.

Edit: Ok so turns out you can insert images... But the other image is once again too large. Next time I will edit it on my iphone before uploading it to Dropbox.

Last edited:
The partial derivative with respect to x of f(x^2-y^2) is just f'(x^2-y^2)*2x. There's really only one way to take a derivative of f.

Dick said:
The partial derivative with respect to x of f(x^2-y^2) is just f'(x^2-y^2)*2x. There's really only one way to take a derivative of f.

Thanks but aren't fx and fy different? Since you can take the derivative of f with respect to both x and y. I reuploaded a new attempt I made and it shoes that they are not equal unless fx = fy. But I don't think fx = fy.

theBEAST said:
Thanks but aren't fx and fy different? Since you can take the derivative of f with respect to both x and y. I reuploaded a new attempt I made and it shoes that they are not equal unless fx = fy. But I don't think fx = fy.

f is a function of ONE variable. In your case the value of the variable happens to be x^2-y^2. But there's still only one way to differentiate f. The derivative of f is f'.

Dick said:
f is a function of ONE variable. In your case the value of the variable happens to be x^2-y^2. But there's still only one way to differentiate f. The derivative of f is f'.

Oh wow that makes so much sense now, thanks!

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. In other words, it allows us to find the rate of change of a function within another function. It is an important concept in calculus and is used to solve more complex problems involving derivatives.

2. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you first need to identify the outer function and the inner function of the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function, leaving the inner function unchanged. Finally, multiply this result by the derivative of the inner function. This process will give you the derivative of the composite function.

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used in multivariable calculus to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. They are especially useful in optimizing functions with multiple variables and are also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving multiple variables.

4. How do you find partial derivatives?

To find partial derivatives, you treat all other variables in the function as constants and differentiate the function with respect to the variable you are interested in. This means that all other variables can be treated as numbers and can be ignored during the differentiation process. This will give you the rate of change of the function with respect to that specific variable.

5. What is the relationship between the chain rule and partial derivatives?

The chain rule and partial derivatives are closely related concepts. The chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function, while partial derivatives are used to find the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables. The chain rule is often applied in the process of finding partial derivatives, especially in cases where the function is a composition of multiple functions.