Triple Integrals: Spherical Coordinates - Finding the Bounds for ρ

In summary: DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDIn summary, the question asks to find the volume of a solid between a cone and sphere, using spherical coordinates. The main issue is determining the boundary of integration for ρ, which can be solved by writing the equation of the sphere in spherical coordinates and dividing by ρ to get ρ = cosΦ. Thus, the limits for ρ are 0 and cosΦ, which results in the appropriate volume.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid that lies above the cone z = root(x2 + y2) and below the sphere x2 + y2 + x2 = z.

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 + x2 = ρ2

The Attempt at a Solution

The main issue I have with this question is finding what the boundary of integration is for ρ. I tried to solve for it by:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-06-10%207%2041%2030%20PM.jpg
I end up getting 0 ≤ ρ ≤ root(2)sinΦ.

However the answer says the 0 ≤ ρ ≤ cosΦ, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid that lies above the cone z = root(x2 + y2) and below the sphere x2 + y2 + x2 = z.

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 + x2 = ρ2

The Attempt at a Solution

The main issue I have with this question is finding what the boundary of integration is for ρ. I tried to solve for it by:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-06-10%207%2041%2030%20PM.jpg
I end up getting 0 ≤ ρ ≤ root(2)sinΦ.

However the answer says the 0 ≤ ρ ≤ cosΦ, what am I doing wrong?

The outer surface is the sphere ##x^2+y^2+z^2=z##. Writing that in spherical coordinates gives ##\rho^2=\rho \cos\phi##. Dividing by ##\rho## gives ##\rho = \cos\phi##. So ##\rho## goes from ##0## to ##\cos\phi##. You get the cone with an appropriate limits for ##\phi##.

Last edited by a moderator:
LCKurtz said:
The outer surface is the sphere ##x^2+y^2+z^2=z##. Writing that in spherical coordinates gives ##\rho^2=\rho \cos\phi##. Dividing by ##\rho## gives ##\rho = \cos\phi##. So ##\rho## goes from ##0## to ##\cos\phi##. You get the cone with an appropriate limits for ##\phi##.

Oh wow that makes so much sense now! Thanks! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

1. What are "triple integrals"?

Triple integrals are mathematical calculations that involve finding the volume of a three-dimensional space by integrating a function over that space. They are an extension of double integrals, which find the area of a two-dimensional region.

2. What are "spherical coordinates"?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They use three values - ρ, θ, and φ - to represent a point's distance from the origin, its angle from the positive z-axis, and its angle from the positive x-axis, respectively.

3. How do you find the bounds for ρ in a triple integral using spherical coordinates?

The bounds for ρ in a triple integral using spherical coordinates can be determined by looking at the shape of the region being integrated over. The lower bound for ρ is typically 0, as this represents the origin. The upper bound can be determined by finding the furthest distance from the origin within the region.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the bounds for ρ in a triple integral using spherical coordinates?

Sure, let's say we are trying to find the volume of a sphere with a radius of 4 using a triple integral. In spherical coordinates, the bounds for ρ would be from 0 to 4, as these represent the distance from the origin to the surface of the sphere.

5. Why is it important to use spherical coordinates when finding the bounds for ρ in a triple integral?

Spherical coordinates are particularly useful when dealing with regions that have a spherical or circular shape, as the bounds for ρ can be easily determined based on the shape's characteristics. They also allow for more efficient and accurate calculations when integrating over three-dimensional regions.