Triple Integrals: Finding Mass of a Bounded Solid

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a solid with constant density bounded by a parabolic cylinder and three planes. The person discussing the problem mentions drawing diagrams and attempting to solve the integral, but running into issues with the limits. They suggest considering different orders of integration to avoid using square roots.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Find the mass of a solid of constant density that is bounded by the parabolic cylinder x=y2 and the planes x=z, z=0, and x=1.

The Attempt at a Solution

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-06-07%202%2033%2024%20PM.jpg

I first drew some diagrams to help me visualize the problem and then I tried to solve this integral but it ended up to be in terms of x. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to integrate in the order x, then y then z, then...

For an arbitrary (y,z), x should go from the z=x plane to the x=1 plane,
that is, x=z..1.

For an arbitrary z, y should go from -√x to √x.

Then z should go from 0 to 1.

So your last limit should not be a function of x, nor y.You may want to draw all surfaces in one 3d pic. so you can see that the lower limit in x should have been x=z, not x=y^2.
You may want to consider othe orders of integration, so that you avoid the square roots.

theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

Find the mass of a solid of constant density that is bounded by the parabolic cylinder x=y2 and the planes x=z, z=0, and x=1.

The Attempt at a Solution

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-06-07%202%2033%2024%20PM.jpg

I first drew some diagrams to help me visualize the problem and then I tried to solve this integral but it ended up to be in terms of x. What am I doing wrong?
If you integrate w.r.t. x first (inner integral)n then there shouldn't any x in the limits of the outer two integrals.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a bounded region in three-dimensional space.

How is a triple integral used to find the mass of a bounded solid?

A triple integral can be used to find the mass of a bounded solid by integrating the density function over the volume of the solid. This results in a numerical value that represents the mass of the solid in a given unit of measurement.

What is the difference between a single, double, and triple integral?

A single integral involves integrating a function over a one-dimensional interval. A double integral involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. A triple integral involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region.

What are the limits of integration in a triple integral?

The limits of integration in a triple integral represent the boundaries of the three-dimensional region over which the function is being integrated. These limits can be expressed in terms of x, y, and z coordinates or in terms of equations that define the boundaries of the region.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the mass of an object with varying density, finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape, and determining the center of mass of a solid object. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve complex problems.