1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integrals: Finding Mass of a Bounded Solid

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the mass of a solid of constant density that is bounded by the parabolic cylinder x=y2 and the planes x=z, z=0, and x=1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-06-07%202%2033%2024%20PM.jpg [Broken]

I first drew some diagrams to help me visualize the problem and then I tried to solve this integral but it ended up to be in terms of x. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2
    If you want to integrate in the order x, then y then z, then...

For an arbitrary (y,z), x should go from the z=x plane to the x=1 plane,
    that is, x=z..1.

For an arbitrary z, y should go from -√x to √x.

Then z should go from 0 to 1.

So your last limit should not be a function of x, nor y.

You may want to draw all surfaces in one 3d pic. so you can see that the lower limit in x should have been x=z, not x=y^2.
    You may want to consider othe orders of integration, so that you avoid the square roots.

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you integrate w.r.t. x first (inner integral)n then there shouldn't any x in the limits of the outer two integrals.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook