Understanding the Chain Rule in Multivariable Calculus

In summary: If you have a function ##f(x,y,z)## with ##x,y## functions of ##z##. How would you use the chain rule to get##\frac{df(x,y,z)}{dz}##?You would use the chain rule to get the derivative of the function, ##\frac{df(x,y,z)}{dz}##.
Istiak
Homework Statement
Chain rule of Calculus
Relevant Equations
Chain rule of Calculus
Screenshot from 2021-08-24 18-16-14.png
Screenshot from 2021-08-24 18-15-50.png

Screenshot from 2021-08-24 18-17-11.png

But, If I use chain rule than, I get that.
##\vec v_i = \frac{dr_i}{dt}=\sum_k \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k} \cdot \frac{\partial q_k}{\partial t}## But, they found that?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a function ##f(x,y,z)## with ##x,y## functions of ##z##. How would you use the chain rule to get
##\frac{df(x,y,z)}{dz}##?

Likes Steve4Physics and Delta2
Gaussian97 said:
If you have a function ##f(x,y,z)## with ##x,y## functions of ##z##. How would you use the chain rule to get
$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} \cdot \frac{\partial y}{\partial z}$$ 🤔

• Skeptical
Likes Delta2
Two things to correct in your version:
1) Each function, ##r_i##, is also directly a function of ##t##. Your version does not include that.
2) Apparantly, each ##q_i## is a function only of ##t##, so there is no partial derivative of ##q_i(t)##. It should be the total derivative, ##\dot{q}##.
I believe that when you correct those, your answer will match the book.

Likes Steve4Physics and Delta2
Istiakshovon said:
Homework Statement:: Chain rule of Calculus
Relevant Equations:: Chain rule of Calculus

View attachment 288010View attachment 288012
View attachment 288013
But, If I use chain rule than, I get that.
##\vec v_i = \frac{dr_i}{dt}=\sum_k \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k} \cdot \frac{\partial q_k}{\partial t}## But, they found that?
##\sum_k \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k} \cdot \frac{\partial q_k}{\partial t}## means the same as ##\sum_k \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k} \dot {q_k}##

It's just that you have forgotten that ##r_i## is a function of t (as well as the ##q##'s):
##r_i = r_i(q_1, q_2, …. , t)##

So when using the chain rule, there is an additional term to include for the dependence on t:
Additional term = ##\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial t} \cdot \frac{\partial t }{\partial t} = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial t}\cdot 1 = \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial t}##

EDIT: I've (incorrectly) used partial derivatives (see @FactChecker's Post #4). ##\frac{\partial q_k}{\partial t}## should be ##\frac{dq_k}{dt}## and ##\frac{\partial t}{\partial t}## should be ##\frac {dt}{dt}##. Comment about Post #3 removed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Delta2
FactChecker said:
Two things to correct in your version:
1) Each function, ##r_i##, is also directly a function of ##t##. Your version does not include that.
2) Apparantly, each ##q_i## is a function only of ##t##, so there is no partial derivative of ##q_i(t)##. It should be the total derivative, ##\dot{q}##.
I believe that when you correct those, your answer will match the book.
Should I take $$r_i = r_i(q_1+q_2+...+q_n+t)$$? I think I was confusing with comma. Cause, when I took this I saw my answer matched. $$v_i=\frac{dr_i}{dt}=\sum_k \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial t}$$ Here, I am adding q1,q2,...q_n by that Sigma summation. Hence, my answer matched. But, I don't know why I took comma earlier? Does comma actually represent something?

No. It should be a comma, meaning that ##r_i## is a function of all of those variables, but not necessarily in the simple summation way that you suggest. The change in ##r_i## is the summation of the partial changes due to all its input variables. The equation that you got for ##v_i## is correct even if all those input variables are not added together as one input.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and Istiak
Istiakshovon said:
Should I take $$r_i = r_i(q_1+q_2+...+q_n+t)$$? I think I was confusing with comma. Cause, when I took this I saw my answer matched. $$v_i=\frac{dr_i}{dt}=\sum_k \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial t}$$
Istiakshovon said:
$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} \cdot \frac{\partial y}{\partial z}$$ 🤔
This is not correct.
I think you have some fundamental problems with the chain rule. I would suggest you to leave this particular problem and spend 1 or 2 days reviewing multivariable calculus to refresh all your knowledge about the chain rule.
If you have never studied multivariable calculus, then you should really spend time to learn it, it is a fundamental tool for almost any physics. So, you will find it impossible to learn physics in a proper way without this mathematics.

Likes Delta2
Gaussian97 said:
This is not correct.
I think you have some fundamental problems with the chain rule. I would suggest you to leave this particular problem and spend 1 or 2 days reviewing multivariable calculus to refresh all your knowledge about the chain rule.
If you have never studied multivariable calculus, then you should really spend time to learn it, it is a fundamental tool for almost any physics. So, you will find it impossible to learn physics in a proper way without this mathematics.
Gaussian97 said:
Is $$\frac{df(x,y,z)}{dz}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\cdot \frac{\partial x}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \cdot \frac{\partial y}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}$$? 🤔 I am confused with the last one. I am not sure if that's correct one...

Ok, this looks much better.
Just keep an eye on the terms ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial z}##, ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}##. If ##x## and ##y## are functions of only ##z## there's no problem. But what would happen if ##x## has the form ##x=x\left(z, f(z)\right)##, for example if ##x## depends also on ##y##. Does this affect the result?

Istiakshovon said:
Is $$\frac{df(x,y,z)}{dz}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\cdot \frac{\partial x}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \cdot \frac{\partial y}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}$$? 🤔 I am confused with the last one. I am not sure if that's correct one...
Yes, that is correct. The last one is actually the simplest since there is no intermediate variable (like x and y) between f and z.

Gaussian97 said:
Ok, this looks much better.
Just keep an eye on the terms ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial z}##, ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}##. If ##x## and ##y## are functions of only ##z## there's no problem. But what would happen if ##x## has the form ##x=x\left(z, f(z)\right)##, for example if ##x## depends also on ##y##. Does this affect the result?
Just writing what I got in my last equation for partial x.

$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial x}{\partial z}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} (\frac{\partial x}{\partial y} \cdot \frac{\partial y}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial x}{\partial z})$$

I think it does.

FactChecker said:
Yes, that is correct. The last one is actually the simplest since there is no intermediate variable (like x and y) between f and z.
Thanks! I thought chain rule is same as "normal" differentiation. That's why I didn't study that. I had studied Multivariable calculus. But, I haven't completed some topics in Multivariable calculus which is Taylor, Maclaurin and Leibniz.

Istiakshovon said:
Just writing what I got in my last equation for partial x.

$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial x}{\partial z}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} (\frac{\partial x}{\partial y} \cdot \frac{\partial y}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial x}{\partial z})$$

I think it does.
Nop, that's not correct notice that you can cancel the ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial z}## term and obtain the relation
$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial z}=0$$
which, of course, is not true in general.

To avoid this, the ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial z}## in the LHS and the RHS must have different meanings, (in such case we would no longer be able to cancel them).
Do you know what the difference should be?

Istiakshovon said:
Thanks! I thought chain rule is same as "normal" differentiation. That's why I didn't study that.
They are closely related. If y changes twice as fast as x and z changes three times as fast as y, then z changes 6 (=2*3) times as fast as x.

I could be wrong but here is my ¥0.20:
As noted above, a chain rule concerning n+1 vars (extra 1 due to time var) is applied. Here I am assuing a ##q_i## is a function of time.
Whenever I take the derivative of a multivariable function I draw a diagram looks like the one below to help me figure out the relationship between each set of variables. In such a diagram the direction of an arrow connects a dependent variable (tail) and a independent variable (head).
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 8.55.23 PM.png

(I love my macbook's trackpad. I didn't even need a stylus pen to draw it.)
$$\mathbf v=\frac{\partial \mathbf r}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial \mathbf r}{\partial q_1}\cdot \frac{d q_1}{dt}+\frac{\partial \mathbf r}{\partial q_2}\cdot \frac{d q_2}{dt}+\dots+\frac{\partial \mathbf r}{\partial q_n}\cdot \frac{d q_n}{dt}+\frac{\partial\mathbf r}{\partial t}$$

Last edited:

1. What is the chain rule of Calculus?

The chain rule is a fundamental concept in Calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions and applying the rule. This is especially useful in real-world applications where functions may be composed of multiple layers.

3. How do I apply the chain rule in practice?

To apply the chain rule, you first need to identify the outer and inner functions in the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Remember to also apply the chain rule to any nested functions within the inner function.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, as long as the individual functions are differentiable. However, it may become more complicated and require multiple applications of the rule for highly nested functions.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule?

One common mistake when using the chain rule is forgetting to apply it to nested functions within the inner function. Another mistake is incorrectly identifying the inner and outer functions, which can lead to incorrect results. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its composition before applying the chain rule.