1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain Rule with partial derivatives

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let T= g(x,y) be the temperature at the point (x,y) on the ellipse x=2sqrt2 cos(t) and y= sqrt2 sin(t), t is from 0 to 2pi. suppose that partial derivative of T with respect to x is equal to y and partial derivative of T with respect to y is equal to x. Locate the max and min temperatures by examining dT/dt and the derivative of dT/dt.

2. Relevant equations

chain rule with partial derivatives

3. The attempt at a solution

I got an answer of 4 for dT/dt. this means that the temperature is increasing at a constant rate of 4 units/sec. meaning that the min is at t=0 and the max at t=2pi. do i need to find the area under the dT/dt graph to find the max and min temps? or am i way off?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You haven't shown your work for dT/dt but I'm pretty sure you have a sign mistake. If you think about this problem physically, it represents the temperature in an ellipse shaped wire. The temperature can't be increasing all the way around because when t = 0 and t = 2pi you are at the same point of the wire.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    Ok, this is what i have
    dT/dt= ∂T/∂x (dx/dt) + ∂T/∂y (dy/dt)
    =y(-2sqrt2 sint(t)) + x(sqrt 2 cos(t))
    then plug in y and x from the given and i got...
    (-4sint*sint) + (4 cost*cost)
    when i graphed that, i got a straight line at 4.
    Where did i go wrong?

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4
    Ok nevermind, i just graphed in degrees instead of radians. it's been a long week, obviously :( ok, i think i know what i'm doing now. sorry for the confusion :P

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your derivative is OK, but you don't get a straight line. Sure, T(t) = 4 at t = 0 and t = 2pi. Did you try any other points? Like t = pi/2? Trig functions don't generally give you straight lines.

7. Oct 10, 2009 #6
    I forgot to graph in radians. i switched modes and got a curve with maximums at t=0, pi, and 2 pi. minimums at pi/2 and 3pi/2. how do i find which is the actual max and min if i'm given just the parametric? do i need the second derivative? for the second derivative i got -8sint*cost + 8cost*sint. but when i try and graph that, i get nothing in my window. i'm so lost.

8. Oct 10, 2009 #7
    Ok, found my problem, it should be -16costsint for the second derivative. do i need the second derivative at all?

9. Oct 10, 2009 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"do i need the second derivative at all? "

I guess it couldn't hurt. What do you know about the extrema of a continuous function on a closed interval?

10. Oct 10, 2009 #9
    Nevermind, i got it all figured out. the zeros of the first derivative give you the maxs and mins and you just plug back in. apparently i can't remember calc 1 anymore. whoops. but thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook