Challenging High School Planetary Mechanics Problem

In summary, the problem involves a binary star system with two stars of masses m and 3m that revolve around their common center of mass. The smaller star has a mass of 1.0 * 10^30 kg and the distance between the stars is 1.5 * 10^12 m. Using the equations Fg = Gmm/r^2 and Fc = 4mpi^2r/T^2, the common period of revolution can be found by setting Fc equal to Fg and solving for T. However, since the r's in both equations are different, one measured from the center of revolution and the other the distance between the bodies, the center of mass must be found first. A
forcefrom

Homework Statement

A certain binary star system consists of two stars of masses m and 3m respectively separated by a distance of 1.5 * 10^12 m measured between their centres. These stars revolve in sync with each other around their common centre of mass. If the smaller star has a mass of 1.0 * 10^30 kg, what is their common period of revolution?

r = 1.5 * 10^12 m
m1 = 1.0*10^30 kg
m2 = 3.0*10^30 kg

Homework Equations

Fg = Gmm/r^2
Fc = 4mpi^2r/T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, I thought I could do Fc = Fg and solve for period, but I'm not sure if that's the right way to do it and it doesn't sound right either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct in principle. A slight complication is that the r's in both equations are different. One is measured from the center of revolution, another is the distance between the bodies. Which one is which and how are they related?

Oh, so the r in Fc is different. Center of revolution means I need to know my center of mass, right? Another problem I'm having is I'm not sure exactly how the sketch for this works, if that's needed at all?

Yes, you need to find out the C. M. I am not sure what your problem with the sketch is.

Do I need a sketch (to know visualize/see the diagram of the problem) to find the C.M.? I'm not sure how to find it.

What is the definition of the C. M.?

1. What is a high school planetary mechanics problem?

A high school planetary mechanics problem is a challenging scientific inquiry that involves studying the motion and behavior of planets, moons, asteroids, and other celestial bodies in our solar system. It may also involve solving complex mathematical equations and using computer simulations to understand the dynamics of these objects.

2. Why is it important to study planetary mechanics in high school?

Studying planetary mechanics in high school allows students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as gain a deeper understanding of our solar system. It also prepares students for more advanced studies in astronomy, physics, and engineering.

3. What are some common challenges in solving high school planetary mechanics problems?

Some common challenges in solving high school planetary mechanics problems include understanding and applying complex scientific concepts, interpreting data and observations, and using mathematical equations and computer simulations effectively.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving high school planetary mechanics problems?

Improving skills in solving high school planetary mechanics problems requires practice and persistence. It is important to develop a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and astronomy, as well as regularly engage in challenging problem-solving activities and seek guidance from teachers and mentors.

5. Can high school students contribute to real-world planetary mechanics research?

Yes, high school students can contribute to real-world planetary mechanics research through participating in citizen science projects, attending summer research programs, and collaborating with universities or research institutions. They can also enter science competitions and present their findings at conferences.