Challenging problem about puck revolving on a table

• Thread starter go_ducks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the question asks for the tension in the cord, centripetal acceleration of the puck, and speed of the puck in a system where an air puck is rotating on a table top, attached to a hanging mass by a massless cord. Given variables are radius R = 0.9 m, mass of the puck = 0.28 kg, and mass of the hanging mass = 1.25 kg. The final part of the question involves removing some of the hanging mass and determining the new radius and speed of the puck without using conservation of angular momentum or energy concepts. The attempted solutions involve using equations for force and velocity, finding T in terms of r, and solving for angular velocity. However, the key to
go_ducks

Homework Statement

An air puck is rotating on a table top, attached to a hanging mass by a massless cord which passes through a hole in the centre of the table. Given variables are, radius R = 0.9 m. mass(puck) = 0.28 kg. mass(hanging mass) = 1.25 kg. Question is:

a) tension in cord
b) centripetal acceleration of puck
c) speed of puck
d) some of hanging mass is removed, so that its new mass is 1kg. Find the new radius and new speed. (hint : angular velocity is not constant)

(special note: not allowed to use conservation of angular momentum or energy concepts to arrive at solution - this material is not yet covered in class! i believe that linear momentum is also not allowed)

Homework Equations

F = mv2/R
v = 2 pi *r/t (perhaps)
think that's it.. Newtons law and the kinematic equations are also ok

The Attempt at a Solution

First don't bother solve a,b,c except for your own sake, I can do those parts easily and I have found the question about 30 times on google up to part c.

Its part d which is blowing my mind, which is when you reduce the tension in the string and the puck moves out into a new radius of orbit with a new velocity and also a new angular velocity. Since angular velocity is non-constant then neither is the period. So basically I can't find any constants. I know you want to say "just use linear momentum, what are you doing" but the professor requires that they can't be used. Momentum and energy concepts are both out of the question.

Well I have been trying to tackle it three ways.

First way. Say T = mv^2/R ..which it is.. then if i multiply by mr^2/mr^2 i get T = (mvr)^2 / mr^3 which looks promising because mvr is conserved. Unfortunately I am not allowed to use this fact! So I have been trying to finish this way by showing d(mvr)/dt = 0 from the equations of motion in a circle to prove it . I have not been unable to do this successfully even though it seems like it should be doable since it is a fundamental fact.

Second way. Try to find T(r). i.e. find T in terms of only the value r. However I am unable to ever get rid of a v without introducing an w, another non-constant. I've also investigated dT/dR but this hasnt been fruitful at all - v depends on r somehow. I choose T = mv^2/r and get dT/dr = -mv^2)/r^2 * 2v *dv/dr It doesnt' look like it'll improve that way. Am I doing this derivative correctly?

Third way. (Actually this is the first thing I tried) Try starting from the hint which is angular velocity is not constant, and perhaps try to solve dw/dr and see what happens. w = v/r so dw/dr = -v/r^2 * dv/dr ... which is to say dw/dr = - a dv/dr. ... or dw/dr = - aw .. but an integral from 0.9 to R2 won't yield the answer since w2 is also unknown and contains v/r. I considered maybe some clever introduction of quantities leads from this to the conservation of angular momentum conditon dmvr/dt = 0, but I couldn't find a path. I apologise if this explanation was confusing to read.

This problem is to be graded, so please, gentle guidance only. Its also a very good problem so please don't spoil it with something kids will end up googling for. As you can see I have been really trying hard on this problem and at this point , I've started to wonder if I can actually solve it. The question was originally given on a mid-term so I feel I may be missing some vital clue (but that should just be the hint, right?).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the mass moves to a new radius, but won't it stay constant then?

queenofbabes said:
Well, the mass moves to a new radius, but won't it stay constant then?

Yes after it moves. the question is find the new radius and new speed. I looked back over what I wrote here for method 3 and i put aw which isn't right but no worries, it still didnt go anywhere..

go_ducks said:
v = 2 pi *r/t (perhaps)
Well, not exactly. But, as per your request, I will not tell you what equation to replace this with. Anyway, from the rest of your post, I will assume that this is only a typo (or brain fart).

go_ducks said:
(hint : angular velocity is not constant)

... when you reduce the tension in the string and the puck moves out into a new radius of orbit with a new velocity and also a new angular velocity. Since angular velocity is non-constant then neither is the period. So basically I can't find any constants.
I suspect that this is the root of your problem. Imagine that you remove the .25 kg, then hold the hanging 1 kg at its eq position, and then let go and allow the system to do its thing. (I mention the second step because, in general, the process of removing the .25 kg leads to oscillations, but I think you are supposed to assume that the 1 kg does not oscillate for this problem.) If the 1 kg is released from its eq position, then what can you say about the motion of the 1 kg? Then, what can you say about the length of string connecting the puck to the hole? Then, what can you say about the radius?

go_ducks said:
First way. Say T = mv^2/R ..which it is..
This is true if v and R are constant, but not true in general. However, see my previous comments.

Hint: if you can do parts a,b,c, and you can figure out what I'm talking about, then you can do part d.

Last edited:
I think you were referring to v = rw which I have used subsequently.

Other than that, definitely still not getting it. It already seemed fairly self-evident that the radius of orbit should increase by the same amount that the hanging mass is raised by, but the professor said we weren't allowed to involve mg*dh... or any other energy concept in the calculation. I will try to figure out why you brought that thing about T up.

Actually, now I'm scratching my head, too. I'll see if I can enlist some big guns to help us figure this out.

Hi go_ducks! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
go_ducks said:
… Find the new radius and new speed. (hint : angular velocity is not constant)

(special note: not allowed to use conservation of angular momentum or energy concepts to arrive at solution - this material is not yet covered in class! i believe that linear momentum is also not allowed)

Hint: r = rê, where ê is the radial unit vector,

so r'' = r''ê + 2r'ê' + rê'' :wink:

1. What is the physics behind a puck revolving on a table?

The physics behind a puck revolving on a table involves the principles of rotation and friction. When a force is applied to the puck, it begins to rotate due to its circular motion. The friction between the puck and the table helps to maintain the rotation by providing a force that acts in the opposite direction of the puck's motion.

2. How does the shape and size of the table affect the revolving puck?

The shape and size of the table can affect the revolving puck in a few ways. If the table is not perfectly flat, then there may be areas of higher or lower friction, which can impact the puck's rotation. Additionally, a larger table may provide more space for the puck to revolve, while a smaller table may cause the puck to collide with the edges more frequently, changing its rotation.

3. Can the speed of the puck be controlled while it is revolving on the table?

Yes, the speed of the puck can be controlled while it is revolving on the table. The force applied to the puck, as well as the amount of friction between the puck and the table, can impact its speed of rotation. Additionally, the shape and size of the table can also affect the speed of the revolving puck.

4. How do different surfaces on the table affect the revolving puck?

Different surfaces on the table can have varying effects on the revolving puck. For example, a surface with more friction, such as carpet, may cause the puck to slow down and eventually stop rotating. On the other hand, a smooth surface with less friction, like ice, may allow the puck to continue revolving for longer periods of time.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying a puck revolving on a table?

The study of a puck revolving on a table has several real-life applications, including understanding the principles of rotational motion and friction, which are essential in many fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. Additionally, studying the revolving puck can also help in designing more efficient machines and optimizing the performance of sports equipment, such as hockey pucks and ball bearings.